The Boars battled bravely to secure a share of the spoils in a tempestuous clash at home to Dorking on Saturday.

Eversley made a brilliant start and opened the scoring in the second minute, but their lead was shortlived as Matty Harmsworth volleyed home after Kieran Lunn’s shots had struck the crossbar.

Disaster struck minutes later for the Boars as they were reduced to 10 men when their goalkeeper was given his marching orders for taking out Lunn.

The attacker missed the resulting penalty, but Eversley suffered a further blow when manager Sam Waters was given a red card on 35 minutes.

With the man advantage, Dorking continued to press, but it was the ten-man home team who regained the lead against the run of play, just before half time. A free kick on the edge of the area struck the defensive wall, only to be deflected into the Dorking net.

In an end-to-end second half, Dorking levelled matters as Harmsworth bagged his second following an error from the hosts’ replacement stopper.

But any hopes Dorking had of winning the game were seriously undermined in the 65th minute when frustration boiled over and, in a moment of madness, defender Zach Powell headbutted his opponent, earning a straight red card.

With the two teams now having ten players apiece and the contest at boiling point, there was more effort than quality as both sides looked for the winner, before settling for a draw.

The Boars will particularly regret their inability to beat fourth-bottom Alton last Tuesday, with the visitors at the ESA Sports ground reduced to 10 men after just 20 minutes when goalkeeper Aaron Bufton was given his marching orders.

But Sam Waters’ men were unable to make their numerical advantage tell, as goals from Liam Fisher and Will Neville were cancelled out by strikes from Ryan Bunney and Ash Peck for Town.

Eversley – who sit in seventh place in the table – were due to host Chessington and Hook United last night, before table-topping Farleigh Rovers visit on Saturday.

l SANDHURST Town look all but certain to finish bottom of the Combined Counties League Division One table after they were thrashed 4-0 at Chessington & Hook United.

The Fizzers fell victim to a brilliant Kyle Green hat-trick and a Dan McLaughlin strike last Tuesday night.

Paul Harkness’ side were due to complete their season when they welcomed Dorking to Bottom Meadow yesterday evening, but a win would only leave them level on points with second bottom Epsom Athletic, with the Surrey side having six games remaining.