News » Bracknell » Articles »

Concoction of household cleaners causes toxic fumes

Published: 7 Dec 2012 17:301 comment

A MAN had to be given oxygen after mixing together two household cleaning products.

Share this image

Firefighters from Bracknell station were called to Ladybank, in Birch Hill, at noon today (Friday) to help clear the toxic fumes.

The crew spent 40 minutes ventilating the property by opening all the windows and using industrial fans.

Firefighter Dave Budge, from white watch, explained that the man had poured a household bleach and bathroom cleaner containing hydrochloric acid down the toilet at the same time, without reading the warning labels, and was "engulfed" by the fumes.

The occupant, believed to be in his late 30s, was treated by paramedics on the scene as a precaution.

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.