FIREFIGHTERS tackled a small blaze in an extractor fan that filled the first floor of a house with smoke.

Crews from Bracknell and Crowthorne stations went to the house Hersham Road, Owlsmoor at 12.30pm today where the fan in the bathroom had malfunctioned and caught alight.

It melted onto the shower and bath below and firefighters spent an hour and a half putting out the flames before clearing the house of smoke. A man who lived at the house was unhurt.

There was not a battery in the upstairs fire detector and Firefighter Dave Budge said: "People need to check their smoke alarms once a week."