READING FC came from two goals behind to snatch a draw against fellow Championship strugglers Bolton Wanderers.

First-half goals from Reece Burke and Darren Pratley appeared to condemn Royals to a second straight defeat.

But in a game of two halves a Liam Moore tap-in and a Leandro Bacuna penalty kick put Reading back into the game.

Stand-in stopper Anssi Jaakola stood firm to deny former Royal Adam Le Fondre a winner as Royals took a hard-fought point back to Berkshire.

Jaap Stam made four changes to the squad which lost 2-0 at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Vito Mannone withdrew from the match for personal reasons and was replaced by Jaakola, who made his first Championship start at the Macron Stadium.

Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett and Dave Edwards came in for Yann Kermorgant, Tiago Ilori and Joey van den Berg while there was a spot on the bench for England Under 17 World Cup winner Danny Loader.

Royals had an early scare when a hospital pass by Liam Moore heaped pressure on Jaakola. The Finland international’s clearance was less than convincing but Reading dealt with the danger.

Stam’s men typically dominated possession in the early proceedings in Lancashire but struggled to create anything outside of their own half.

Chris Gunter’s pace drew Trotters’ Robinson into a foul and the Welsh international was sent sprawling onto the deck. Aluko had an opportunity to whip the ball into the box but his botched delivery was smothered easily by Alnwick.

Seconds later, Modou Barrow’s delivery from the left fell just inches in front of the on-rushing John Swift who, much to the delight of the home crowd, was denied a simple tap-in.

But sadly Swift, who has been plagued by injury this year, was forced to withdraw from the field on 16 minutes after he picked up a knock. Pelle Clement was introduced in his place.

And disaster struck again seconds later when Josh Vela’s free-kick fell to Darren Pratley inside the box.

Royals’ then 86 per cent of possession counted for very little as Pratley’s flick-on fell straight to Reece Burke who headed the ball back across goal and into the back of the net.

And Reading were staring a second straight defeat in the face moments later when some disastrous defending allowed Darren Pratley to rise highest and double the host’s leads from a corner.

Royals’ lacklustre start to the match continued as they failed to muster a single shot on goal in the opening 30 minutes.

Dave Edwards’ glancing header fell kindly for Barrow with 35 minutes played but the Gambian international failed to poke Royals back into the game at the far post.

Royals did have the ball in the back of the net when Tyler Blackett slipped Roy Beerens beyond the Trotters’ defence. Beerens’ cut-back found Pelle Clement but the linesman’s flag had already been raised.

And Royals should have halved the deficit when an injury-time corner was flicked across the face of goal by Blackett. The chance went begging however and Stam’s men went into the break two goals down.

Dutchman Stam picked an unchanged team in the second-half despite Royals’ bitterly disappointing first 45 minutes.

Welsh internationals Gunter and Edwards linked up well on 48 minutes but the latter’s header sailed high over Alnwick’s crossbar after a neat delivery into the box.

Royals introduced a bit more urgency into their play and Alnwick was forced into a smart save, palming Aluko’s effort away for a corner.

Leandro Bacuna found space on the edge of the area to pick his spot but the former Aston Villa midfielder’s effort sailed harmlessly over the bar.

Bacuna then had to rescue Royals from conceding a third when his vital interception denied Josh Vela a gilt-edged opportunity.

Reading continued to probe at the opposition and once again enjoyed the vast majority of the play but failed they to make their possession count.

Barrow spotted Beerens running through the middle of the Bolton defence but the Gambian over-cooked his pass, wasting yet another chance for Royals.

Stam finally threw on a recognised striker when he introduced Bodvarsson with 25 minutes to play and Royals still trailing by two goals.

And the towering Icelandic international made an immediate impact when he helped bundle Barrow’s low cross into the back of the net.

It was defender Moore who claimed the final touch however and Royals suddenly found themselves back in the game.

Royals were then queueing up in the box when Barrow received the ball on the left again. The Gambian’s pull-back was simply too close to stopper Alnwick however and yet another chance went begging.

But the game finally turned in Reading’s favour when Barrow was sent sprawling to the ground inside the area. Referee Madley had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Leandro Bacuna stepped up and made no mistake, duping Alnwick and firing into the bottom corner with eight minutes left.

Royals legend Phil Parkinson threw on former Madejski Stadium favourite Le Fondre in a bid to restore the home side’s lead.

Jaakola was called into action deep into injury time when he fisted away a point-blank header to keep Royals in the game.

Le Fondre could have won it for the hosts in the dying embers of the game but Jaakola stood firm once again as Stam's men rescued a point.

Reading FC: Jaakola, Gunter, McShane, Moore, Blackett (Kelly, 70), Edwards, Swift (Clement, 16), Bacuna, Beerens (Bodvarsson,66), Barrow, Aluko.

Subs not used: Legg, Ilori , Richards, Loader.

Bolton Wanderers: Alnwick, Little, Wheater, Burke, Robinson, Pratley, Henry, Ameobi (Le Fondre,88), Vela (Noone,81), Armstrong (Buckley, 81), Nadine.

Subs not used: Cullen, Derik, Darby, Howard.

Referee: Andrew Madely