The visitors started brightly at the Memorial Gorund but it was Finch who had the first real opportunity when Onreat-Wells’ effort was easily saved by Woodley goalkeeper Dan Smith.

However, Town continued to look dangerous and were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty when Adam Cashin-Murray was bundled over in the penalty area.

Shortly afterwards his corner was headed against the crossbar by Gary Smith, but Finch nearly took the lead themselves as Alexander released Ryan Tye, only for his effort to strike another teammate.

In a fast-paced and end-to-end Hellenic League Division One East contest, Cashin-Murray had a chance blocked by Harry Swabey, Smith was forced to make a save from Sam Price and Adam Barnard’s free-kick went over the bar.

And the hosts took the lead in the 33rd minute, Alexander cutting out Gary Smith’s pass before embarking on a driving run and sliding the ball underneath the goalkeeper.

Swabey had an oppurtunity to add to their tally, but his attempt went wide from a corner, then Cashin-Murray’s free-kick was mis-handled by Tom Bryant, but Alex Rodrigues’ shot was blocked.

The final chance of the half fell to Woodley’s David Stevens, but his effort went over the bar.

Finchampstead doubled their lead two minutes into the second half, with a long ball from the back finding Onreat-Wells who shrugged off a challenge before firing past Smith into the bottom left corner.

However, Woodley pressed on and debutant Josh Blackwood won a free-kick, with Cashin-Murray’s shot from 20 yards flashing wide of the right post.

Stevens then saw his effort easily saved by Bryant just before the hour, but Finches produced some quality passing from Price to Onreat-Wells, who provided a chance for Chris Dean who could not quite complete the move.

Alexander also squandered a chance to seal the points as his effort hit the side netting, and Finches’ profligacy almost came back to haunt them as Cashin-Murray finished well after picking up a Jordan Goddard pass to make it 2-1.

The talented striker was also involved in another penalty claim when his shot was blocked, and several Town players claimed the ball was stopped by a Finch hand.

At the other end, Alexander had another effort saved, while Michael Alleyne did well to break up a counter-attack.

With the game in stoppage time, Woodley substitute Seun Odusanya was bundled over just outside the box. With 20 men in the area, Matt Molloy’s free-kick couldn’t find a Town head, and the referee blew for full time as soon as Finchampstead cleared.

Jon Laugharne and Graham Pickersgill’s side host Headington Amateurs for the second time in three weeks when they clash in the Bluefin Sport Supplementary Challenge Cup this Saturday (2.15pm).