BERKS County Reserves crashed out of the Reading Junior Cup after they were narrowly beaten 1-0 at home by Rotherfield United, writes Richard Ashton.

Finchampstead scored five first-half goals, but were still pushed all the way in a 10-goal cracker against Highmoor Ibis Athletic.

However, a James Payne hat-trick, two for Sean Hanley and a strike from substitute Sam Jenkins were enough to give Finches a 6-4 victory.

Hurst knocked out Marlow United Reserves after the home side won a seven-goal thriller 4-3. Hurst were indebted to a wonderful hat-trick from Dan Pearson, along with a goal from Andrew White, for helping them progress.

Dan Best got the only goal of the game as Wokingham & Emmbrook Reserves advanced following a 1-0 success at Burghfield.

Reading YMCA continued their imperious form by reaching the semi finals of the Maidenhead Norfolkians Senior Cup thanks to a convincing 4-1 home win against Mortimer.

The Young Men started brightly, but they fell behind against the run of play when Scott Dewar smashed home a free-kick mid-way through the first half.

However, the home side hit back and were in front before the interval courtesy of goals from the prolific Ryan Adams and Nathan Lishman.

The second half was an even affair, but it was the home side who took their chances, Jordon Cox and Ashley Searle finding the back of the net to set up a last-four clash with Maidenhead Town.

South Reading reached the last eight of the Berks & Bucks Junior Cup after they smashed Drayton 5-1, while Maidenhead Town Reserves are also in the hat for the quarter finals following a hard-fought 1-0 triumph at Saxton Rovers Reserves.

In the Premier Division, Newbury held off a second-half comeback from Marlow United to seal all three points with a 2-1 win.

Goals from Carl Jenner and Danny Langford had the home side in command at the break, but Sudariu Catalin’s 54th-minute effort hauled United back into the match, only for Newbury to close the game out and climb to fifth.

Cookham Dean climbed to sixth as a Lee Hawkins double and a goal from Scott Jackson saw them to a 3-2 success at Wraysbury Village.

Josh Trayte bagged a brace for Maidenhead Town, but it was not enough for them to prevent Richings Park moving top of the Division One table, the away side coming out 5-2 victors.

Jamie Grainger scored the only goal of the game as Hurst A kept their Division Three title hopes alive with a nervy 1-0 victory in their top-of-the-table clash at leaders Goring United.

Despite just a second defeat of the season, the home side remain three points clear at the summit with a game in hand on Hurst.

In Division Four, table-toppers Twyford & Ruscombe continued their perfect season with a ninth consecutive win, but they were forced to work hard before eventually getting past second-bottom Berks County Rovers 4-3.

Substitute Ben Huddell was the star man for Rovers, coming off the bench to grab two goals. Matt Panton got the other for the Swords.

Josh Hanton and David Woodley found the back of the net for third-placed Goring United Reserves, although they had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Harchester Hawks Development, while the game between Farnham Royal Mavericks and White Eagles Reserves was abandoned.

All other scheduled games across the league were postponed due to waterlogged pitches.