CARLO Santoro scored one goal and made another for Ian Davies as Binfield defeated Woodley United 3-0 at Hill Farm Lane on Friday with all three goals coming in the second half, writes Dave Wright.

Substitute Usman Lalustani completed the scoring to seal a victory that was comfortable in the end, but which had looked unlikely at half time.

It took the Moles some time to get going, only moving up a gear after they had introduced two substitutes during the interval and tinkered with the formation.

While they are enjoying a good run of form, exactly the opposite applies to Woodley, the teams lying sixth and 18th respectively in the Hellenic League.

Yet, there was little to choose between them in the opening 45 minutes and it was generally poor entertainment for a decent crowd of 127, which was well up on Binfield’s average attendance and an indication that Friday evening football may be popular in this part of Berkshire.

The hosts went into the game on a high following their 6-1 cup win at Shrivenham the previous Saturday, but soon came to realise that United were not going to be any pushovers despite their lowly position in the table.

Brad Pagliaroli, looking to follow up his hat-trick, had a frustrating time, even being booked for ‘diving’ when going over in the area and was taken off at half time, along with Alex Colverd.

With skipper James Knight his usual industrious self in midfield, the Moles generally strung the better moves together, only to see them frequently broken up by Idris Kamara at the heart of United’s defence.

The big centre-back was getting the better of Davies, but that was until the 51st minute when his extra pace took him away from his marker to meet a right-wing cross from Santoro and turn the ball past keeper Alex Reed.

It was Davies’ 17th goal of the season, having scored twice when playing for Woodley against Binfield last September.

Teenager Santoro, cutting in from the right flank, weaved his way through the Woodley defence before firing low across Reed into the far corner.

The visitors had little to offer in attack, although Danny Horscroft did send a free-kick just over keeper Henry Craven’s bar.

Binfield added a third goal with 20 minutes remaining, Jack Thompson Wheeler and Knight getting another attack in motion and it ended with Lalustani providing the finish.

Santoro set up a chance for Davies, only for Reed to make a fine save, as the Moles finally eased home.

“In the end, we scored three goals, kept a clean sheet and got the three points, so we’ve got to be happy with that,” commented manager Roger Herridge.

Binfield are away to Division Two West side Bishop’s Cleeve Development in the Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup tonight (Wednesday, 7.45pm) with the winners facing Division One East high-fliers Virginia Water at Windsor’s Stag Meadow in the quarter-finals.

On Saturday, the Moles host Abingdon United (3pm), who last week won 4-2 at leaders Highworth before crashing 5-0 at home to Bracknell.