ASCOT United threw away a 4-1 lead as Fairford Town hit back to snatch a 90th-minute equaliser in an enthralling Hellenic League Premier Division 4-4 draw on Saturday.

Fairford’s Liam Gale rattled the crossbar with a header in only the second minute, but the Yellamen took a 14th minute-lead when Mo Davies was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Samir Regragui struck a direct free-kick over the wall and into the net via the left hand upright.

The visitors doubled their lead shortly after courtesy of Rob Lazarczuk’s thumping effort into the right-hand corner, goalkeeper Ben Mitchell left with no chance.

The home side then rallied, and after James Campbell’s attempted chip was easily saved by Lee Allen midway through the half, Lee Smith pulled a goal back on 26 minutes after latching onto a through ball and firing over Allen.

At the other end, James Goodey found the net with a brilliant solo effort; driving into the left hand corner to make it 3-1 after flicking the ball past a defender to tee up the chance.

Ascot began brightly in the second half and were rewarded for their positivity when Lazarczuk added a fourth three minutes in. This time, he found Regragui on the wing, and after his cross found its way to the ex-Windsor man, Lazarczuk unleashed a volley which deflected past Mitchell on its way into the net, much to the delight of the two travelling fans.

However, this was as good as it got for the visitors, who were on the back foot for the remainder of the match.

Liam Gale struck the post and the underside of the bar, before cutting the deficit on 53 minutes.

Campbell inexplicably struck the post on the hour mark with an empty goal in front of him, but Ben Saunders’ towering header from a corner made it 4-3 before Fairford saw an effort chalked off for a foul on Allen.

In a rare counter-attack, Lazarczuk missed the chance to wrap the game up with two minutes remaining, but his flick lacked pace and Mitchell easily saved, but it was veteran player manager and substitute Jody Bevan who rose highest to plant a firm headed equaliser past Allen in the 90th minute after the visitors had wasted several opportunities to clear the ball.

Fairford might have bagged a 95th-minute winner, but Gale slashed at his shot, although Lazarczuk also sliced a decent chance wide late on.

Ascot United host Woodley United this Saturday (3pm).