BRACKNELL Town cranked up their well-oiled goal-machine even further last Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

Following two 7-0 wins and an 8-0 in the previous four games, the Robins handed out a 9-2 hiding to Cheltenham Saracens in the second round of the Bluefin Sport Hellenic League Cup.

The Premier Division high fliers totally outclassed their Division 1 West rivals, creating a chance with virtually every attack, but a combination of poor finishing and a string of outstanding saves by keeper Elliot Roberts kept their goal tally in single figures.

And a Saracens side, depleted by four suspensions, were also helped in escaping lightly by the fact Bracknell were not at full strength with leading scorer Adam Cornell, Jamie McClurg, George Short, Ryan Parsons and Dave Hancock among those left out of the starting line-up for various reasons.

Town gave a full debut to full-back Jack Smillie, while another former Ascot United player, Colin Mugoya, came off the three-man bench at half-time.

On a wet afternoon and with the crowd well below the usual 200 plus, it took Bracknell just six minutes to open the scoring with a solo effort from Seb Bowerman.

Jon Bennett twice went close before TJ Bohane was brought down in the area and Bowerman blasted home the penalty, his 14th goal of the season.

Bracknell News:

Bracknell Town striker TJ Bohane, centre, with Adam Cornell, right.

With just 12 minutes gone, it was already abundantly clear this was going to be a one-sided contest.

Yet it still took Town until the 37th minute before they scored again and even the goal came from a rare error by Roberts, who failed to hold Joe Grant’s shot to leave Bennett with a simple tap-in.

And Bohane’s header from Carl Withers’s well-placed cross saw Town take 4-0 lead into the break for the fourth time in their last five games.

Yet it would have been six had not the over-worked Roberts pulled off two excellent stops late in the first half.

With Bowerman taken off after receiving a knock, the Robins switched things around for the second half, keeping just three at the back, pushing Khalid Senussi wide up front and bringing on Mugoya into midfield.

The latter created an impression, while Senussi made his presence felt by scoring his side’s fifth four minutes into the second half.

With the goals flying in at the other end, Town defenders appeared to doze off as they conceded two goals in the 50th and 52nd minutes.

But normal service was resumed six minutes later when Bennett was brought down by Roberts and he picked himself up to make it 6-2 from the penalty spot.

The pick of the afternoon’s goals came from Senussi, who blasted a 35-yard screamer into the net after 68 minutes.

Grant added the eighth on 75 minutes with a shot from close to the edge of the area and he netted with another fine effort two minutes from time, taking his season’s tally to 12.

This win completed another very successful week for Town as it followed their 8-0 victory over Cricklewood Wanderers in the FA Vase and a 2-1 win at National League South side Hungerford in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Tuesday of last week.

Town are without a game this Saturday, so giving them more time to prepare for their Vase third-round tie at Chatham-based Lordswood on Saturday, December 2.