BRACKNELL Town took their goal tally to a remarkable 22 in just eight days by crushing Cricklewood Wanderers 8-0 in their FA Vase second-round tie at Larges Lane on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

It was the biggest winning margin of all the 64 ties played at the weekend although they were extremely fortunate to have kept a clean sheet against the lowest ranked team left in the competition.

The Middlesex League side, who had lost 3-1 to Cray Valley in the previous round before gaining a reprieve as their opponents fielded an ineligible player, play two levels below Town and this was never a game they were going to win.

However, they showed in the early stages of the game that, while they could not match Bracknell’s teamwork, they possessed a couple of classy individuals.

Bracknell News:

Adam Cornell scores for Bracknell against Cricklewood. Pictures: Neil Graham.

Anthony Emeh certainly had the beating of the Bracknell defence and was incredibly unlucky not to have scored, hitting the post twice in the opening 15 minutes with keeper Chris Grace beaten.

Yet by this time, the Robins were already two goals ahead, with Khalid Senussi heading in at the far post from Seb Bowerman’s accurate left-wing cross after six minutes and TJ Bohane finishing off a move involving Ryan Parsons and Bowerman on 12 minutes.

Both times Cricklewood’s lack of height at the back was badly exposed.

Emeh, tall and pacey, looked certain to get the goal he deserved in the 23rd minute, only having to poke the ball home from close range, but Carl Davies managed to clear off the line.

Bracknell News:

The Cricklewood keeper is beaten again.

Grace was far from happy with the way his defence were allowing Wanderers scoring chances and he had to rescue his side with a flying save to deny Ashley Flanore.

But Nathan Dyos was the busiest of the two goalies and, after managing to block Bohane’s header without knowing much about it, he was beaten for a third time in the 31st minute by a Senussi shot which took a wicked deflection off a defender on its way.

Dyos then kept out efforts by Bohane, Bowerman, Cornell and George Short in quick succession before Adam Cornell made it 4-0 with a minute of the half remaining.

It was the third time in eight days Town had scored four times in the first half as they followed up 7-0 Hellenic League wins over Burnham and Highmoor Ibis.

There was a switch at half time with Joe Gater replacing Adam Kirby at the heart of the defence.

Within two minutes of the resumption, Bohane nodded in another excellent cross from Bowerman, who soon afterwards went close to netting himself on a day when he was unstoppable.

Bracknell News:

Robins striker TJ Bohane heads into the Cricklewood net.

Jamie McClurg, who dominated the midfield, smashed home a superb free-kick from wide out on the left after 62 minutes and substitute Jon Bennett linked up with Bohane to score in the 78th minute, six minutes after replacing Cornell.

Two minutes later Davies completed the scoring, firing low inside the right-hand post from outside the area. While McClurg had claims for the best goal of the afternoon, skipper Davies certainly produced the best celebration.

The Robins earned £900 from the Vase prize fund to add to the £825 they picked up in the previous round with a further £1,125 awaiting the winners at the next stage.

Bracknell, who were visiting Hungerford in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup last night (Tuesday), should be among the goals again this Saturday when they host Hellenic Division One West side Cheltenham Saracens in the Bluefin Sports Hellenic League Cup second round (3pm)