BRACKNELL Town once again proved far too strong for struggling Burnham with a 7-0 Hellenic League Premier Division romp at The Gore on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

They had won the corresponding fixture 5-0 last season before going on to thump the Blues 7-0 at home.

And they could and should have scored many more this time with the number of clear-cut chances they created.

Adam Cornell led the way with a hat-trick to take his season’s tally to an impressive 21, while there were two goals for TJ Bohane and one apiece for George Short and Seb Bowerman.

Without wishing to detract from Bracknell’s performance, it has to be said that Burnham’s defending was mainly woeful as they struggled to contain one of the most potent attacks in the league.

After strong appeals for a penalty were turned down when Bohane appeared to be brought down by keeper Mohammed Samphat, Town opened the scoring with 10 minutes gone when Short turned home Dave Hancock’s right-wing cross.

Bowerman doubled his side’s lead on 21 minutes after having his initial effort blocked and seven minutes later an unmarked Cornell made it 3-0 by finishing off a flowing move involving Hancock, Kensley Maloney and Bohane. The game was already over as a contest and it was just a matter of how many goals Bracknell would score.

The hosts, who had won only two of their previous 16 league games, did go close to pulling back a goal late in he first half with Kieran Noel hitting the crossbar, but they were left deflated even more when Bracknell scored their fourth in stoppage time with Bohane finishing off a move involving Short and Cornell.

And there was no let-up in the second half with the visitors going straight onto the attack to net a fifth as the unmarked Cornell headed in a cross from Maloney, who moments earlier had forced Samphat into making a smart save.

Cornell completed his hat-trick in the 58th minute when Bohane found him unmarked in front of goal and it needed a brilliant save by the keeper to deny him a fourth.

Just after the hour mark, the Robins made two changes, with Kane Fitzgerald replacing Jamie McClurg in midfield and Khalid Senussi taking over on the left wing from Bowerman.

Bohane completed the scoring in the 72nd minute following good work down the right flank by Maloney.

With substitute Liam Ferdinand taking over from Cornell, the visitors continued to pound away at the Burnham goal and several chances continued to go begging.

Samphet didn’t have the best of games, but it was still down to him that Burnham managed to escape with a single-figure defeat.

Bracknell, who play Highmoor Ibis in the league tonight (Tuesday), host Cricklewood in the FA Vase second round this Saturday (3pm ko).

They were originally due to face Cray Valley Paper Mills, but they were kicked out for fielding an ineligible player in the last round.

Step 7 side Cricklewood, who lost 3-1 to the Millers, currently occupy fifth place in the Middlesex County League Premier Division.

On paper, that looks a far easier task than the one facing Bracknell next Tuesday (7.45pm ko) when they travel to National League South side Hungerford Town in the second round of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup. The winners will be home to Slough or Wantage in the quarter-finals.