THE most prolific goalscoring duo in Bracknell Town’s modern history are back in business, writes Dave Wright.

Terence ‘TJ’ Bohane and Adam Cornell, who between them scored more than 90 goals last season, have been reunited at Larges Lane.

Bohane, having previously been signed on a dual registration for a month, made his move back from Swindon Supermarine permanent late last week.

He started on the bench as Cornell bagged a hat-trick in Town’s 6-2 win over Buckingham Athletic in their FA Vase first-round tie on Saturday before going on to score a goal himself.

But, as he looked on from the substitute’s bench, Bohane will have noticed there is now extra competition for one of the striker’s role in the shape of Liam Ferdinand.

The forward signed from Binfield, who also bagged 40 plus goals last season, made his return from an ankle injury and capped a useful performance with a goal.

As joint manager Jeff Lamb remarked: “There is now a lot of competition for places in the team.”

With wide-men Seb Bowerman and Joe Grant capable of setting up threatening moves on a regular basis, Town now boast an extremely potent attacking force.

There are surely going to be plenty more goal treats like this one against a youthful Buckingham side and Bracknell will need to score as they will certainly leak goals if they defend like they did last weekend.

Not for the first time this season, there was a lack of understanding among their rearguard. It cost them two goals and it would probably have been one or two more had they been playing a team at their own level, rather Step 6 opposition.

Town were odds-on favourites to beat their Spartan League Division One visitors and it took them less than four minutes to take the lead. Ferdinand had two efforts blocked before Cornell forced the ball over the line.

But signs it was not going to be a walk-over soon materialised when two good chances fell Buckingham’s way, with keeper Chris Grace rescuing his side.

He could do nothing to stop Robbie Carter’s 14th-minute penalty, awarded for a foul by Phil John on Ben Acquaye as the right-back tried to regain possession.

Town were soon back on the offensive and regained the lead on 21 minutes when, after good work by Cornell, left-back Carl Garstang produced a spectacular overhead kick to find the net – a strong early contender for Bracknell’s goal of the season.

This time they held the lead for just three minutes when John was bustled off the ball by Carter and the 17-year-old striker scored Buckingham’s second goal.

Robins regained the lead just before the half-hour mark. Carl Davies played the ball out of defence to Cornell and he found Ferdinand, who produced a smart finish.

It needed a flying save by Grace to make sure Town stayed in front at half-time, while John’s unhappy day continued with a yellow card for elbowing Acquaye.

So it came as no surprise that he was replaced by Dave Hancock for the second half.

Town, emerging as the fitter side and with Jamie McClurg controlling midfield, dominated the rest of the game.

Watched by a crowd of 232, the hosts soon got on top with Grant being denied by keeper Nick Bennion and they had strong appeals for a penalty rejected when Cornell went down in the area.

It was Cornell who added a fourth in the 63rd minute and five minutes later he headed in a Carl Withers free-kick, taking his season’s goal tally to 17.

Bohane, who had taken over from Ferdinand, completed the scoring on 80 minutes from a chance created by Cornell and Bowerman.

In the next round, Bracknell will host Cray Valley, from the Southern Counties East League, on Saturday, November 11.

Town, now third in the table following their 3-0 win over Wantage on Tuesday of last week, host fourth-placed Thatcham Town at Larges Lane on Saturday, then on Monday, the Robins are away to Highmoor Ibis in Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup.