ADAM Cornell scored twice and had a hand in the other goal netted by Joe Grant as Bracknell Town produced an excellent Hellenic League Premier Division performance to win 3-1 at Flackwell Heath on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

And the striker was richly praised by joint manager Paul McGrotty, who said: “Adam was brilliant. That’s the best he’s played since we’ve been here in terms of his all-round play, his hold up play and link-up play.

“He was up there on his own and deserved his goals, he really came alive in their box.”

In all, this was among Town’s best displays so far this season, securing a quick double over a Flackwell side that were lying second in the table going into the game.

With Seb Bowerman, in particular, and Grant always lively down the flanks and Kensley Maloney probing continually behind them, Town looked a threat almost with every attack.

And they also had the better of the midfield, where once again Jamie McClurg kept the engine room revved up.

The Heathens were strong opponents and had their moments, but Bracknell always had that little bit more class and were very good value for their three points, which they needed following their defeat at Wantage a week earlier.

Town, however, did have to overcome the loss of new centre back Justin Clayton, who crumpled to the ground with a hamstring injury after just four minutes. Substitute Damien Smith took over alongside Carl Davies and enjoyed an excellent game.

Although the hosts were seeing as much of the ball, Town created the better chances with Grant and Cornell both testing keeper David Lyons, while Maloney was denied a clear shot at goal by a last-ditch tackle by Tom Willment.

Then just before half time Cornell saw an effort cleared off the line.

The Robins finally broke the deadlock within three minutes of the start of the second half.

From a McClurg short corner, Phil John swung the ball over from the right which took a deflection off the head of a Flackwell defender before Cornell supplied the finishing touch.

The visitors deserved to be in front, but 10 minutes later the scores were level with Dean Allen being given too much space as he moved onto Mitchell Woodward’s cross.

Within two minutes, however, Cornell restored his side’s lead after Lyons had failed to deal with Bowerman’s shot.

The ever-dangerous Bowerman was then stopped by a Flackwell defender’s elbow and, with blood pouring down his face, his afternoon looked over, but after lengthy treatment he was able to continue.

Bracknell, who had beaten the Heathens 3-2 at home last month, put the game beyond doubt seven minutes from time.

Smith played a long ball out of defence, Cornell knocked it on into the path of Grant, and he raced through to score.

Bowerman had a great chance to add a fourth goal when he raced clear, but, with his vision probably not perfect after his earlier injury, he shot inches past the far post.