JON Bennett came off the bench to score the winner as Bracknell Town defeated Abingdon United 3-2 at Larges Lane on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

The Robins were twice behind and looked in danger of dropping their first points of the season.

Joe Grant (pictured) and George Short headed in the equalisers before Bennett sealed Town’s fifth successive Hellenic League victory.

The striker had been brought on at half time at the expense of midfielder Carl Withers as manager Mark Tallentire reverted to a 4-3-3 formation.

Robins had not been at their best in the opening 45 minutes although were still able to create more chances than their visitors.

Adam Cornell did manage to get the ball into the net, only to be ruled offside, while Grant fired inches wide and two tempting Withers deliveries into the area eluded the forwards.

Town were shown the way to goal on 27 minutes when Graham Bryan nipped behind the defence and had time to pick his spot past keeper Chris Grace.

Short went close with a header from Jamie McClurg’s cross and Khalid Senussi, on his return from injury, just failed to turn home Dave Hancock’s centre.

So for the second time in week the Robins found themselves trailing at the interval.

The previous Monday they had bounced back to put six past Binfield and another recovery looked possible when they equalised just 53 seconds into the second half with Senussi’s cross from the left being headed home by Grant at the far post.

However, slack marking led to Graham Edney restoring the lead for Abingdon on 54 minutes.

There was a swift response from Town with Joe Gater not far away with a header and Cornell seeing his effort blocked by keeper Harry Whitehead.

Bracknell were now enjoying their best spell of the match and deservedly equalised in the 65th minute.

From McClurg’s left-wing corner, Carl Davies headed the ball back across goal for Short to power a close-range header into the net.

There was now only one team who looked like winning, and it was Bennett who put Town ahead after 67 minutes.

He later hit the post and in stoppage time he raced clear down the left, only to be upended by Whitehead just outside the area. It was a reckless challenge and the keeper was red carded by referee Paul Andrews.