DEVONTAE Romeo could become another Bracknell Town signing this week after scoring in the 3-1 win over Binfeld in the four-team tournament at Larges Lane on Sunday, writes Dave Wright.

The other two goals came from Liam Ferdinand, whose transfer from Binfield was confirmed late last week.

Romeo has Southern League experience with Marlow and Hungerford, has been training regularly at Larges Lane and impressed manager Mark Tallentire.

“He can play in three or four positions, and I have liked what I have seen of him so far,” said Tallentire.

“Hopefully, we will sit down with him and have a chat about his future.”

Another on show last weekend was defender Rob Garrard, whose previous clubs include Highmoor Ibis and Thatcham.

Ferdinand’s double against his old club came after he had netted in the 2-1 defeat by Hungerford in a pre-season friendly last Tuesday.

“Three goals in two games is a good start for him and he’s not up to full speed yet,” said Tallentire.

Ferdinand did not play on Saturday when Bracknell lost 4-3 to Eversley & California in the opening game of the tournament which is being played over two weekends.

Tallentire fielded two different teams each day last weekend, with several of Saturday’s side containing players hopeful of being named in the first-team squad.

The Robins twice trailed by two goals in the first half, but strikes from Ian Davies, Dan Roberts (penalty) and the impressive Kensley Maloney made it 3-3 at half-time.

Joe Grant then struck the post before the Boars regained the lead in the 67th minute.

Newcomer Dayo Adewuze scored twice in an impressive performance, with Cam Miller and Nick Cooper also on target for the Combined Counties League side.

Eversley followed up with a 4-2 win over Wokingham & Emmbrook – having gone two goals down in the first 30 minutes – and were the only side to have won both of their opening games.

On Saturday, Binfield had defeated Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-2 after leading 2-0 at the interval thanks to goals from Aaron Rowland (2) and Danny Langford.

Rowland is one of the club’s youngsters to have signed first-team forms, the others being Ed Lee and Owen Powell.

Moles manager Roger Herridge, who saw his son Jack score for the Sumas, described last weekend as a “worthwhile exercise” and was not bothered by the results.

He added: “We got to look at nearly 40 different players, some existing first-team players, others from our development and youth teams and some from elsewhere.

“There were some excellent performances. Some looked good for the future and a few maybe not up to the level we require.”

Of last season’s squad, James Knight, Grant Kemp, Sean Moore, Gary Smith and Jeff Brown have all re-signed.

Ex-Maidenhead United youth team keeper Sam Gray has joined the club and the Moles are keen to sign another goalie, Reading FC scholar James Hilson.

Herridge is also looking to sign the Grant duo, Joe and Alfie, who were with league rivals Highmoor Ibis last season.

So the Boars lead the table with six points, with Bracknell and Binfield with three points apiece while Wokingham & Emmbrook have yet to get off the mark.

The tournament continues this Sunday with Binfield taking on Eversley at 2pm and the Robins facing Wokingham at 6pm.

Keeper Chris Grace and midfielder George Short return to the Bracknell side.

Once Saturday’s games are concluded, the two teams with most points will play each other at 2pm on Sunday, with the remaining two playing-off for third place at 6pm.

Bracknell and Binfield have both received home draws in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup on August 5.

The Moles host Wessex League side Cowes Sports, while Chichester from the Southern Combination are the visitors to Hill Farm Lane.

Ascot United and Eversley & California both have away ties against Wessex League opposition, against Ringwood Town and Amesbury Town respectively.

The Boars face Ringwood in the first qualifying round off the FA Vase on September 9, while Ascot take on Fareham at The Racecourse Ground.

Last Saturday, Ascot drew 3-3 with Camberley Town in a friendly at Bisham Abbey after going 3-1 down.