A BATTLING performance by Bracknell Bees went unrewarded as Streatham scored twice in the last four minutes to snatch a 5-3 victory at the Hive on Sunday, writes Dave Wright.

Bees fell behind three times, but hit back to equalise on each occasion and at times, with the momentum in their favour, they looked capable of winning the game.

But throughout this NIHL Division One South game the Bees were let down by poor finishing, while also being punished for mistakes by a side that was quick to turn defence into attack.

It was a game Bracknell should not have lost, although it did expose their lack of confidence.

They are certainly not playing with the same flair and intensity they showed during a run of 10 wins from 12 games earlier in the season.

Bees are creating as many scoring chances as they did then, but they are not being taken with the puck also not running kindly for them.

Scott Spearing’s men enjoyed a lot more possession, having a total of 47 shots at goal compared to Streatham’s 29.

In the opening period, Bees out-shot their visitors 19-6, but it was all-square at 1-1 going into the first break after they failed to take advantage of three one-on-ones with the net-minder, Matt Colclough.

It was against the run of play when the south Londoners grabbed a ninth-minute lead, with Adam Carr taking advantage of a power-play to force the puck past Danny Milton, who was left sitting on the ice.

Bees deservedly equalised with just over 14 minutes on the clock, with Frankie Bakrlik having time to pick his spot from the right side with Josh Tetlow and Shaun Thompson providing the assists.

It was the league’s leading scorer’s 26th goal of a highly productive season.

Brendan Baird put Streatham back ahead in the 25th minute, only for Danny Ingoldsby to reply during another spell of pressure in the 46th minute, Jan Bendik and James Galazzi being involved in the move.

Bees looked the more dangerous side in attack, but a quick turn-over saw the visitors take the lead for a third time thanks to Aidan Doughty with 54:20 on the clock.

However, just 29 seconds later it was 3-3 as Ben Ealey-Newman and Harvey Stead set up James Galazzi for a close-range finish.

The momentum appeared to be with the hosts, but within two minutes they fell behind yet again, with an unchallenged Ben Paynter going straight down the middle to unleash an unstoppable shot past Milton.

With time running out, the goalie was withdrawn, but Bees again lost possession while attacking and Carr drove the puck into an empty net to seal victory for his side 14 seconds before the final hooter.

Ingoldsby was named Bees’ man of the match, his second award in three weeks.