LEADING scorer Frankie Bakrlik was back on duty for Bracknell Bees last Sunday following his six-match ban, but the Czech who had scored in 12 successive games prior to his suspension was unable to add to his 25-goal tally in a 5-3 defeat at Streatham, writes Dave Wright.

However, the Bees were always in the game and it was not until the closing stages when their fate was sealed.

It was an absorbing contest, full of exciting and attacking hockey, with both sides recording 42 attempts on goal.

For their first visit to the South London rink this season, Bees were missing the suspended Danny Ingoldsby and the injured Shaun Thompson, who was replaced by brother Carl following his return to the club.

Player-coach Scott Spearing, still recovering from his recent accident, was on the bench, but did not ice.

Bees were first to find the target, with George Norcliffe finishing off a move between Callum Best and Alex Barker.

Michael Farn equalised on 14 minutes, but it needed two excellent stops from keeper Matt Colclough to stop the visitors regaining the lead in the opening period.

The Redhawks, who had inflicted Basingstoke’s first cup defeat on Saturday, went ahead three minutes after the break through Ryan Webb, only for James Galazzi to equalise in the 31st minute, with Matt Foord and Jared Lane providing the assists.

But the scores were level for just 13 seconds with Watt netting again to make it 3-2 and he then turned provider when Alex Sampford netted the home side’s fourth goal shortly before the second break.

Bracknell were making almost as many chances at the other end and Colclough produced an outstanding save to thwart Bakrlik.

The Czech and Carl Thompson set up Josh Martin with a little over three minutes left on the clock and Bakrlik, who was being closely marked, saw another effort blocked by the keeper.

Bees withdrew Alex Mettam, but seconds later Ryan Webb raced clear to plant the puck into an empty net to seal the victory for the south London side.

Lane was voted Bracknell’s man of the match.

It was Bees’ seventh league and cup defeat in succession, a run which started with two National Cup losses at the hands of Telford Tigers.

The two sides meet again this coming weekend – at The Hive on Saturday and the return on Sunday, with a 6pm face-off on both nights.

Bees are bottom of Group D, while the Tigers are challenging Swindon for the top spot.

Bracknell will be missing defender Josh Tetlow, who is on Great Britain duty at the Under-20 World Championships (Division 1B) in Dumfries. Six teams are taking part with Italy being GB’s first opponents on Monday.