ADAM Cornell marked his debut for Binfield by scoring the only goal of the game as they defeated Lydney Town 1-0 in their Premier Division clash at Hill Farm Lane, writes Dave Wright.

The former Bracknell Town hot-shot has been signed on a dual-registration with Southern League Premier Division South side Hartley Wintney.

Moles manager Roger Herridge commented: "We are delighted to have acquired his services.

"Work commitments will restrict his availability, but we will utilise him as much as possible."

Cornell's winner on Saturday came after just nine minutes, when he rose above the Lydney defence to head home an inch-perfect right-wing cross from full-back Jack Thompson-Wheeler.

The experienced striker was taken off after 74 minutes and replaced by another newcomer, Sean McCormack, who has signed on a dual registration from Bracknell, where he has had few first-team opportunities in recent weeks.

He, too, impressed in the time he had on the field and Binfield are looking to give the forward more games.

In a game of few chances, Herridge was pleased with the win over Lydney after what he described as a "hard slog against an organised side."

It wasn't the most convincing of performances, but it is getting to the stage of the season where the most important thing for Binfield is to keep on picking up points in their pursuit of the title.

Second in the table, the in-form Moles have narrowed the gap between themselves and unbeaten leaders Westfields to 13 points with four games in hand, but they are now facing a heavy backlog of fixtures between now and the end of April – unless the league decides to extend their season.

Their next two games are also at home, with sixth-placed Longlevens the visitors on Saturday followed by Brackley Town Saints, who are fifth, next Monday evening (7.45pm).

Binfield will be hoping for a dry spell of weather as their pitch was unplayable last Monday, forcing their Bluefin Sports (UHL) Cup quarter-final tie against Fairford Town to be postponed for the third time.

Wokingham & Emmbrook's Division One East fixture against Thame United was called off at late notice by the referee due to concerns with one of the goal areas.

It was history repeating itself as Thame had arrived at Lowther Road earlier in the season before hearing the game was postponed.

Having had two Saturday fixtures called off in succession, the Sumas were hoping to return to action at leaders Risborough Rangers last night (Tuesday).

This coming Saturday they are home to Wallingford Town, who sit 10th in the table, sixth places below their hosts.