DAVE Hancock played his first competitive game for five months as Bracknell Town defeated Sevenoaks Reserves 5-0 in a Suburban League fixture at Larges Lane on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

"It has been a long time out, so I'm really glad to be back," said the defender, who had been sidelined with a fractured femur and damaged knee ligaments.

Bracknell News:

"I've been working hard in getting myself back in terms of fitness and training, but there is nothing like playing and getting involved in a game, so it was good to get a full 45 minutes.

"Hopefully, I can get more minutes in and be knocking on the door to get into the team.

"There is competition for places, but that is something I am up for.

"The boys are on a really good run and everyone is buzzing and wanting to play."

Bracknell News:

This match would normally have been a reserve fixture, but manager Bobby Wilkinson decided to field his full first team after their Isthmian League game at Tooting & Mitcham had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

The only absentees were leading scorer Nathan Minhas and skipper Max Herbert, who were both left in the treatment room.

Sevenoaks were not overly happy with the situation as they are fighting to get off the bottom of the Premier Division table and a first-team game had prevented them from sending up a stronger side.

Bracknell News:

Their journey up from Kent was delayed by a fatal accident on the M25, leading to the kick-off being delayed for 30 minutes, and it got worse for them when they conceded an own goal after just eight minutes following a move started by Hancock and carried on by the debut-making

Louie Soares and Scott Rees.

Three minutes later, left-back Caden Genovesi made it 2-0 and the Robins went on to dominate the game, although keeper Jason Matthews did have to make one decent save to stop the Oaks from scoring.

Midfielder Rees added the third goal with 62 minutes gone before central defender Joy Mukena made it 4-0 in the 74th minute, and four minutes later Genovesi netted his second and Town's fifth.

Bracknell News:

So none of the forwards managed to find the net despite having numerous opportunities, due to their poor shooting and several excellent saves from keeper Aftab Lalldin.

Wilkinson made four changes at half-time and, in order to maintain the work rate and encourage them to keep possession, he left just nine players on the field in the last 15 minutes.

This win moved Bracknell up to third in the Premier Division table, 14 points behind leaders Maidstone United Development.

They play Central Division side Eversley & California Development in the Suburban League Shield at Larges Lane this Friday (7.45pm).

Bracknell News: