SEB Bowerman came to Bracknell Town's rescue against FC Romania at Cheshunt on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

He left the substitute's bench to score both goals in a 2-0 win and could have had a hat-trick as he missed a penalty shortly after netting his first from the spot.

Before Bowerman was sent on, the Robins had struggled to break down a side which had previously conceded 72 goals in 22 Isthmian League games.

They forced three corners inside the opening 12 minutes and enjoyed a much larger share of possession, but still rarely looked capable of scoring in a poor first half.

Their best chance came just before the interval. Nebay Haile's shot was pushed aside by keeper Adrian Darabant and fell invitingly to Scott Rees, but his hurried shot flew over the bar.

Romania responded to that let-off by creating a rare chance themselves and it needed a fine save by Jason Matthews with his legs to deny the Wolves taking a shock lead.

There was a bizarre incident as the players walked off at half-time when a Romania player allegedly spat in the direction of a vociferous club volunteer – he was also the pre-match announcer – who immediately told club officials he was quitting before leaving the ground.

What is now becoming a regular occurrence, Wilkinson, made a double change around the hour-mark, with Dan Carr and Alan Musoke giving way to Bowerman and Mickel Platt.

Bowerman took on a central role and, not for the first time, he went on to become Town's match-winner.

His first penalty came thanks to Rees, who was twice challenged in the area before going to ground, although the Romanians protested 'nu a fost fault' to referee Ryan Dix.

Bowerman sent Adrian Darabant the wrong way from the spot to give the Robins a 71st-minute lead.

Less than three minutes later, Bowerman won another penalty, but this time the keeper guessed correctly and saved low to his left.

Shortly afterwards, Darabant did well to tip Dan Bayliss' header over the bar when Max Herbert had delivered a well-flighted cross into the area.

It was skipper Herbert who set-up the second goal in the 84th minute with his free-kick from the right towards the far post being finished off by Bowerman at close range.

Although Town were clearly the better side, it was far from a convincing performance, particularly in the first half, against a Romania team consisting of mainly London-based construction workers who don't train together and don't get paid by the club.

They are arguably punching above their weight and will deserve a lot of credit if they manage to survive in this league at the end of the season.

The Robins, ninth-in-the-table, are now unbeaten in six South Central Division games, having kept a clean sheet in the last three.

They will be looking to extend that run this coming Saturday when they face 14th-placed Chalfont St Peter at Larges Lane.