BRACKNELL Town's five-match winning run came to an end on Saturday when they were held to a goalless draw by Chertsey, writes Dave Wright.

It was their fourth clean sheet in six league and cup ties, but the Robins were unable to take any chances which came their way, leaving them goalless for the first time since losing to Carshalton in the FA Cup last September.

But it certainly wasn't through lack of effort that they drew a rare blank.

As early as the third minute, skipper Max Herbert saw his close-range effort well blocked after Nebay Haile had headed down Seb Bowerman's cross, and shortly afterwards Mike Atkinson fired narrowly over the bar from just outside the area.

Then Bowerman was inches away from getting on the end of an inviting cross from Haile.

With Bracknell threatening, Chertsey looked to knock them out of their stride with some heavy challenges, which led to four players requiring treatment in the opening half-hour.

But the hosts continued to look the more likely side to break the deadlock and Dan Carr was not far off the target with his 25-yard effort just before half-time.

With the hour mark approaching, manager Bobby Wilkinson decided it was time for a change up front, with Haile and Mickel Platt being replaced by Alan Musoke and Luke Holness, who joined the club last week from league rivals Northwood.

However, in the 62nd minute, the Robins had a real let-off. A Chertsey free-kick fell nicely to Matt Drage in the six-yard box, but the defender fired wide of the post.

Bracknell were kept on the back foot for a spell and Wilkinson made another change in the 74th minute with Carr giving way to Geoff Kibaki, making a welcome return after a long lay-off through injury.

But the hosts weathered the storm and created a few chances with Bowerman having a goal ruled out just before the final whistle.

Town will be expected to get back on the goal trail this coming Saturday when they travel to Cheshunt to face second-bottom FC Romania, who have shipped 72 goals in 22 games, with six coming at Tooting & Mitcham last weekend.

The Berks & Bucks Senior Cup tie at Hungerford, which was postponed last week, has been re-arranged for next Tuesday (January 28) with a 7.45pm kick-off.