THE START of yet another new chapter in the history of Bracknell Town saw them hold high-flying Hanwell to a 1-1 draw at Larges Lane on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

They thoroughly deserved their point and it was an encouraging start for new manager Bobby Wilkinson as The Robins ended a run of three consecutive Southern Central Division defeats in which they had let in 14 goals.

So, to concede just one to the table-topping side who are unbeaten on their travels this season was a creditable effort.

The defence was Town’s strongest department on the day, while the midfield battled industriously without ever dominating their opponents. The forwards did not enjoy much success against a well-organised Hanwell backline which included former Bracknell left-back, Joel Jacobs.

Wilkinson knows he will need to strengthen his squad if they are to haul themselves into contention for the play-offs.

The sight of the former Hungerford and Wealdstone manager, and his backroom staff, on the pitch prior to the game came as a surprise to those fans who are not social media savvy.

The announcement that Mark Tallentire, the interim manager, and coach Geoff Warner, who had only just returned to the club from Burnham, were no longer in charge of the team was revealed after the Bracknell News had been published last week.

There was one new face on view, with recent signing Nebay Haile making his home debut following his transfer from Tooting & Mitcham, and it now looks pretty certain there will be more signings to follow in the weeks to come.

Town were without Seb Bowerman due to work commitments and he was missed as he may well have held the key to unlocking the Hanwell defence.

The nearest they came to taking a first-half lead was when young striker Haile, taking a return pass from Nathan Minhas, cut in from the left wing and drove a low shot just wide of the far post.

Earlier, Minhas had been back defending, making a clearance just in front of the goal-line to prevent the visitors.

Town had a couple of more close escapes just before the interval. Centre back Dwayne Duncan, unchallenged, should have done better than head a free-kick past keeper Chris Rackley’s right-hand post, and moments later Brendan Matthew also squandered a good opportunity.

In front of a crowd of 224, it was Bracknell who broke the deadlock following a spell of pressure. Sean McCormack raced onto a ball from Minhas in space, but his first effort was blocked by a defender and his follow up pushed for a corner by keeper, Hugo Sobte.

From the flag-kick, Max Herbert swung an excellent cross towards the far post and towering centre back Dan Bayliss rose highest to power a header back across Sobte into the net.

The goal came on 55 minutes but the lead only lasted for six minutes. An attack down the Hanwell left flank saw half-time substitute Gareth Chendlik cut in and drill a right-footer into the left side of the goal past the diving Rackley.

It was his 13th league goal of the season, taking him level with Minhas at the top of the division’s top scorers’ list.

Town went close to ending Hanwell’s eight-match unbeaten away run when Haile had a shot blocked and the rebound was fired over the bar by Bayliss.

Bracknell are home tonight (Wednesday) to Premier Division side Hornchurch in the first knock-out stage of the Velocity Trophy and then on Saturday visit Marlow in the league (3pm).