"WELL played you Robins," said Carshalton Athletic supporters at the end of the game, writes Dave Wright.

"Well played Robins," echoed Bracknell Town fans.

Both were right as it had been a good FA Cup tie between two clubs with the same nickname.

But it was the Isthmian League Premier Division visitors, wearing Canary yellow, who had most to cheer, having defeated their South Central Division opponents 2-0 in this first qualifying round tie.

They were, however, pushed all the way by the Larges Lane men, whose hopes of pulling off a shock were not helped by players being injured or having work commitments.

The replacements – including new signing Charlie Losasso from Beaconsfield – did well, but it may have been a different story had manager Sam Lock been able to field a full-strength side.

In front of a crowd of close to 300, the visitors made a bright start, forcing three corners in the opening 12 minutes before Losasso, playing on the left in midfield, set up a chance for left-back Dan Bayliss, whose rising shot flew over the bar.

Town, however, struggled to make much headway upfront with sole striker Nathan Minhas up against a physically stronger back four.

Their own defence was then caught out in the 27th minute, being slow to react to Jeremiah Amoo's mishit cross from the left and allowing Christie Pattison to come in at the back post to beat keeper Mark Scott from close range.

Soon afterwards, Town suffered another injury blow when Dan Brown was forced off and replaced by Dan Carr.

And the substitute soon made his presence felt, with a shot which a Carshalton defender managed to deflect away for a corner.

Despite having more possession, Athletic were not able to create many clear-cut chances, although they did manage to force Scott into making a couple of saves just before half-time.

Lock, his assistant Michael Butcher and coaches spent some time on the field following the half-time whistle to decide a change of plan for the second half.

And what they came up with certainly had a positive effect.

Lossaso was not far away from marking his debut with a goal, his 35-yard free-kick flying past the left-hand post before the same player screwed a shot just wide, while Max Herbert saw his effort deflected for a corner after Luke Read had made a goalline clearance.

Bracknell, however, were not finding it easy to get behind the Carshalton defence. With Seb Bowerman absent due to work commitments, they were certainly missing the man who had the pace and ability to open them up.

Carr was pushed upfront to assist Minhas and 20 minutes from time they were joined by striker Nicholas Bignall, who had undergone a pre-match fitness test and probably was not 100 per cent fit to start.

Bignall had claims for a penalty turned down when he appeared to be fouled in the area, but Town's hopes of getting back in the game were ended on 73 minutes when Omar Korona seized onto a rebound after Scott had failed to hold Tommy Bradford's shot to slot home the second goal from a tight angle.

Town were left a man short for the last 10 minutes when Bayliss was sent off for pulling back Levi Phillips after he raced past Joe Gater.

Bracknell return to league action at Bedfont Sports on Saturday and next Wednesday (7.45pm) host Westfield, who have won both of their opening away games.