MANAGER Jamie Tompkins believes Ascot United's 3-1 victory over Windsor in the Uhlsport Hellenic League's Bluefin Sport Cup final last Monday was a fitting reward, not only for his team but for everyone connected to the club, writes Dave Wright.

"This win was fully deserved as the players and staff have all worked extremely hard throughout the season," he said.

"We were great. We wanted a big performance and we got one, so I'm really delighted."

He added: "We have made a lot of progress this season compared to the last one and I am sure that will continue next year. We also have our new 3G pitch to look forward to, it should be ready by September."

Referring to rumours another club had tried to acquire his services, Tompkins commented: "There is always interest from other clubs when you are doing well, but I am fully committed to Ascot.

"This is a great club. I have a great management team with me – Aaron Steadman, Dan Masters, Bjorn Dunkley, Jamie Ashdown and Lexi Sawdon – the committee is very supportive and our supporters are fantastic.

"I am pleased for all of them that we now have a trophy to put on show at the club. Everyone deserves this success."

The Yellamen lifted the cup with an excellent performance against a Windsor side who played for more than half the game with 10 men following a straight red card for star striker Dan Roberts.

Chris Ellis would normally have expected to mark Roberts, but on this occasion, the big central defender was pushed into an attacking role and he caused the Windsor defence plenty of problems.

"We thought we would make the most of his physical presence, so put him up front against their two centre backs," explained Tompkins.

"We knew he could dominate and be the target man. He was fantastic."

However, it was Ellis' powerful long throw-ins which swung the game Ascot's way.

His high delivery into a crowded Windsor goalmouth saw keeper Hugo Sobte unable to make a catch under pressure and he could only help the ball into his own net for the opening goal in the 23rd minute.

Five minutes later another Ellis throw caused chaos in the area and it led to Harry Laflin doubling his side's advantage.

Windsor created a couple of chances to pull a goal back, only to be denied by keeper Sam Gray, but by now they were down to 10 men following the dismissal of leading scorer Roberts for a foot up on James Haworth's head as the Ascot man ducked into the challenge.

It didn't look intentional, but referee Ryan Dix deemed it dangerous and brandished the red card to the disbelief of the whole Windsor camp.

However, Tompkins wasn't too surprised, stating: "When you put your foot in high and make contact with a player's head, not the ball, it is a red-card offence.

"Jamie was left with a cut down the back of his head and neck, so there was definite contact with force there.

"It was a tough one to take for Dan Roberts as he has had a really good year and to end it like he has is not the best for him."

The Yellamen made it 3-0 on the hour mark when Laflin put Dan Price through down the middle and his smart finish gave Sobte no chance.

To their credit, Windsor’s 10 men kept battling away and were rewarded with a 67th-minute goal from substitute Corey Parchment, who was first to pounce after Gray had parried a free-kick.

But, with Windsor becoming increasingly frustrated, Ascot never looked like losing their grip on a final watched by a crowd of 322 at Ardley United's Nolan Oils Ground and the side skippered by Louis Bouwers ran out the comfortable winners.