BRACKNELL Town bounced back from their shock 2-1 defeat at bottom-club Egham the previous Tuesday by winning 3-0 at Northwood, writes Richard Ashton.

It sealed their place in the Bostik League South Central Division play-offs, which had been looking virtually certain for several weeks, if not months.

There has been the occasional hiccup along the way, but the Robins have looked a class above many of their league rivals, as they were last Saturday.

It took them a little time to get into their stride, and for the second successive game, they squandered a number of good chances including four one-on-ones.

Defensively, Town always looked sound, restricting their hosts to just a handful of scoring chances, while the midfield was dominated by Harrison Bayley and Kensley Maloney, who had one of his best games of the season.

It will be very disappointing if they don't finish as runners-up to champions Hayes & Yeading.

The play-off places remain unaltered with all the leading teams winning on Saturday which means Bracknell are on 71 points, followed by Marlow with 69, Cheshunt 67 and Westfield 64.

All these sides have three league fixtures remaining, with Town completing their away trips at Surrey side Westfield on Easter Monday (3pm).

Once again, Bracknell were well supported at Northwood, helping to swell the gate to 207 – the club's highest of the season – on a day when all spectators were admitted free to the AcreTweed Stadium.

Town, who were missing Matt Day and Jamie McClurg, had an early scare when keeper Mark Scott received a blow to his head in a high challenge and needed three minutes of treatment from physio Liam Day before resuming.

Scott, however, was rarely troubled, although on one occasion he did see Carl Davies make a vital block to deny Northwood.

The debut-making Rob Partington was much busier in the home goal, pulling off several excellent saves and keeping the Robins at bay until five minutes before the interval. Scott punted a long ball down the middle which Northwood's Imran Uche looked set to deal with, but he was pressurised by Joe Grant and the Bracknell forward won the battle before lifting the ball over the keeper into the net.

Town increased their lead three minutes into the second half with Ferdinand firing home from the edge of the area.

It was his 29th goal of the season and he looks set to finish the season as the division's leading scorer, being currently six ahead of Hayes ace Lee Barney.

Grant – the club's player of the month for March – was well placed to score again when appeared to be brought down inside the area, but appeals for a penalty were rejected by referee Tim Donnellan.

Twenty minutes from time, Jordan Brown replaced Ferdinand and it was the substitute who completed the scoring on 90 minutes when he cut in from the left and, from an angle, fired low into the net for his first goal for the club.

Bracknell will be aiming to go through the entire season without losing a home league game when they host 14th-placed Chipstead at Larges Lane on Saturday (3pm).