GEOFF Warner blasted the referee following Bracknell Town's 1-0 defeat in their top-of-the-table clash at Hayes & Yeading last Saturday.

The manager was left fuming over the decision of the penalty which decided a superb game packed with attacking football that was a great advertisement for the Bostik League.

In front of a crowd of 416, a record for the relatively new SKYex Community Stadium, the Robins did enough to come away with a point, having created several good scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half.

But Hayes was handed the three points which takes them to the verge of clinching the South Central Division title.

They were awarded a penalty that Bracknell felt should never have been awarded.

Keeper Mark Scott was left lying injured after making a brave save and his teammates were expecting referee George Warren to stop play. However, as Ashley Smith looked to gain possession of the loose ball, Town defender Matt Day raced over and pushed the Hayes wing-back away.

Warren, however, deemed that was a foul and pointed to the penalty spot.

"I rarely moan about referees, but that decision was a disgrace," fumed Warner.

"You've got a goalkeeper lying down injured after getting a boot in his head and our defenders were looking to stop the game. But he gives a flipping penalty; in my opinion, that was very poor refereeing."

Scott, who in addition to a lump on his head had stud marks down his leg, was able to continue, but was sent the wrong way by Toby Little from the penalty spot, giving Hayes their 62nd-minute winner.

"We didn't deserve to lose," stated the Robins manager.

"I am disappointed for the players. They were excellent today; they deserved something out of the game without a doubt.

"We played really well in the first half and had four good chances to score.

"Scotty did make a couple of good saves, but Hayes certainly didn't have as many great chances as we had.

"In the second half, we sort of huffed and puffed for a little bit, but even then, when we changed things around in the last 20 minutes we still had some good chances."

Warner continued: "I am disappointed with the result, but our performance was good."

Whilst Bracknell were losing, Marlow were drawing 2-2 at Hertford, and that leaves the second and third-placed sides locked together on 62 points ahead of their clash at Marlow this coming Saturday.

"It should be another excellent game," said Warner.

"This time last year we were playing Fairford and won 10-3. We are now playing proper football against top teams and that's what our players want. They want to play in big games against teams like Hayes and Marlow."