BRACKNELL RFC's hopes of securing a third straight South West Premier victory were dashed as they left Camborne with a 29-20 reverse on |Saturday.

The Lily Hill men nearly made a dream start when debutant Lorenzo Palacio picked up a loose pass to cross the Camborne try line, only for the referee to deem the ball was held up.

However, they took advantage of their field position superbly as from the resulting scrum, a quick pass saw Gabe Hills dot down out wide on eight minutes. Vic Hardwicke was unable to land the conversion on a windy afternoon, but his side still led 5-0.

It did not take long for the hosts to reply, though, the ball shipped along the back line before 17-year-old Adam Long was able to score his first senior try to level in the 12th minute.

Camborne moved in front almost immediately afterwards, a blistering run from Alex Ducker ending with his long-range effort gaining his side five points.

Bracknell thought they had levelled matters when Connor Segre went over, only for the score to be knocked off due to a forward pass. However, they did reduce the arrears to two points when Hardwicke landed a penalty from their next attack.

It was the home side who were to have the last say in the first half, though, a swift attack culminating with scrum-half Taron Peacock going over under the posts following fine work from No. 8 Jordan Rose. Reece Brownfield added the conversion to give the Cornishmen a 17-8 lead at the interval.

Bracknell made a fine start to the second period, however, and after a marauding charge from prop Ken Dowding, they went through the phases before the ball made its way to Hills who went over for his second try of the afternoon. Hardwicke was again off target with his conversion attempt, but Bracknell had cut the gap to four points.

Following the topsy-turvy nature of the contest, it was Camborne who hit back, a strong scrum deep in the Bracknell 22 allowing them to get the ball to centre Declan Matthews to cross the whitewash. Brownfield again added the extras to make it 24-13.

The decisive blow for the home side arrived on the hour-mark, the impressive Ducker collecting his second, and despite the conversion failing to go over, Camborne had a 16-point advantage.

Bracknell showed their heart to cut the deficit five minutes from time, going through the phases before a superb between-the-legs pass found Cameron McDonald who went over. Hardwicke nudged the conversion through the uprights to close the gap to 29-20, but despite being camped in their opponents' 22 for the remaining minutes, Dan Ap Dafydd's side could not secure a come-from-behind victory or even a losing bonus-point.

The defeat leaves Bracknell in 11th place, but now just a solitary point ahead of their visitors on Saturday (3pm), Cleve.