BRACKNELL Town had to be content with a second 2-2 draw in succession, but came mighty close to snatching a late winner against Hanwell at Larges Lane, writes Dave Wright.

Having earlier in the week announced they were planning to turn their clubroom into a classroom for young students, the Robins had another surprise for their fans on Saturday when they named Binfield's Sean Moore among their substitutes.

With neither Gavin James and Ashleigh Artwell available and Ellis Day back playing for Wokingham & Emmbrook, Town found themselves short of forwards, but a call to Binfield manager Roger Herridge led to Moore being signed on dual registration forms.

And on a day when the Moles were without a fixture, keeper Chris Grace was back in the Bracknell goal as Mark Scott was attending a wedding.

Moore, regarded as one of the best strikers in the Hellenic League by Herridge, was kept on the bench until the last couple of minutes, but that still gave him time to very nearly set up a goal.

He fired over a low left-wing cross which beat the Hanwell defence and Adam Cornell came sliding in, only to miss getting to the ball by inches.

So Town had to be content with just the one point from a game where they had created enough scoring opportunities to earn all three.

Yet, not all of the team had been at their best against a useful visiting side, with fewer seven or higher out of 10 performances than usual.

Their stand-out performer was midfielder Harrison Bayley, who was celebrating his 29th birthday. And he was involved in a neat build-up along with Ryan Parsons and Liam Ferdinand which led to the latter crossing from the left for Joe Grant to sweep home from close range after 22 minutes.

Robins continued to apply pressure with Bayley among those going close to increasing the lead.

In pushing forward, however, they left gaps at the back when Hanwell counter-attacked and had a real let off in the 38th minute. With Grace of his line, Gareth Chendlik looked certain to score when faced with an open goal, but his shot rolled past the far post.

However, Town were punished in the 44th minute when slack marking let in Tom Collins and he made no mistake to bring the scores level. It was the second week running they had conceded a goal on the stroke of half-time.

Despite this setback, Robins went on to enjoy more of the second-half possession, only to fall short in the final third with either a poor pass or wayward finishing.

But after 77 minutes they were awarded a penalty when Grant was hauled down by keeper Aaron Bufton as he burst through the middle and Seb Bowerman made no mistake from the spot to restore his side's lead.

Soon afterwards, Ferdinand nearly scored, only being denied by a flying save from Bufton, who pushed the ball away, which dropped down close to the line before being hacked away by a defender.

At the other end, Grace saved well after a defensive error, but the keeper was left with no chance when Kieron Cathline hammered in an 85th-minute equaliser.

With a minute plus three minutes of added-on time remaining, Moore replaced Bowerman and, after being fed by fellow substitute Kensley Maloney, Town's debutant nearly set up a late winner, only to see his cross miss Cornell's boot by inches.

Bracknell, who were due to visit Cheshunt last night (Tuesday) face Tooting & Mitcham at the Imperial Fields ground in Morden this Saturday, followed by Reading U23s in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup at Larges Lane next Tuesday (7.45pm).