Bracknell Town continue to set a strong pace in the Bostik League South Central Division, having extended their winning sequence to five games with a 2-1 victory against Northwood at Larges Lane on Saturday.

This leaves the Robins three points clear of second-placed Waltham Abbey, the side they defeated on the opening day of the season.

It is a hugely promising start to the new league and, on current form, it is going to take a really good side to beat them, especially on their home pitch.

Tougher games do lie ahead - Marlow and Hayes & Yeading need looking out for in particular - but at the present time no-one can argue they don't deserve to be the table toppers.

Town look like a well-oiled machine, they play with great confidence, band their link-up play is superb. Defenders can hit 40 or 50 yard passes out to the flanks, know a teammate will be there to receive it.

Being quick out of the blocks is also highly beneficial, as they showed on Saturday.

In front of a crowd of 268, there were only 24 seconds on the clock when they forced a corner, from where Seb Bowerman's cross was met by Liam Ferdinand, whose effort was blocked but it fell kindly to Carl Davies, who prodded it home from a few feet out.

So Town were ahead inside the opening minute before many players had even touched the ball.

They had a great chance to double their advantage on 13 minutes when Ferdinand broke clean through, but keeper Luke Sheldrick was quick off his line and spread himself well to keep out the shot.

Adam Cornell had a more difficult angle to shoot from and he, too, found Sheldrick in his way.

Joe Grant and Bowerman were causing Northwood all sorts of problems down the flanks, with both wide men seeing plenty of the ball.

The visitors didn't offer much in attack, yet they nearly equalised midway through the half. Keeper Mark Scott was unable to cut out a high corner and was relieved that when the ball was hit behind him,

Johnny Hathaway was on the line to clear. The young left-back continued to impress on his first full league appearance this season.

Sheldrick continued to be much the busier of the two goalies and it was largely down to him that there was no further scoring before the break with the scoreline failing to reflect Town's dominance.

They clearly started the second half aiming to put another goal or two on the board, with Grant firing into the side netting from a tight angle after 42 seconds and two minutes later Ferdinand lashing a shot against the woodwork.

The second goal eventually arrived just after the 50-minute mark with Cornell, having been set up by Ferdinand, unleashing a thunderbolt from near the edge of the area into the top right-hand corner for his first league goal of the campaign.

The half was not as entertaining as the first 45 minutes and, whilst they continued to create opportunities, there were a couple of warning signs for the Robins when Scott was forced into making two fine saves.

But he had no chance of keeping out Luke Alfano's screamer from all of 30 yards which saw Northwood pull a goal back in the third of four minutes of stoppage time.

Bracknell are away to Middlesex side Ashford Town this Saturday (3pm).