Bracknell Town have surprisingly released two players they only recently signed, writes Dave Wright.

Midfielder Scott Rees, who joined from Hungerford, and centre-back Tom Willment from Flackwell Heath have both gone.

In addition, Damien Smith, who was part of last season’s squad, has been released, while Khalid Senussi has signed dual registration forms with Binfield.

Senussi was a second-half substitute when the Moles defeated Bracknell 3-2 in a friendly match at Binfield on Tuesday.

Explaining the club’s decision to release the players, Carl Davies commented: “The management team felt we had too many in the same area of the park and unfortunately someone had to give way.”

Town’s player-manager confirmed the departures following another disappointing performance at Hill Farm Lane.

There were excuses for the 1-0 loss at Hungerford last Saturday as they were missing eight members of their squad.

Most of them returned against Binfield, but they were unable to prevent a defeat at the hands of their former Hellenic League rivals.

“We got what we deserved,” admitted Davies.

“It was a local derby between two sides who have had a long rivalry and they (Binfield) treated the game how they should have done, while we didn’t. We didn’t perform as well as we should have.

“Their togetherness, their will to win outweighed ours -and that was disappointing”

Davies felt that only three of his players – Kensley Maloney, who was outstanding particularly in the first half, Joe Grant and Ryan Parsons showed their best form.

Binfield took a 20th-minute lead when new signing Danny Horscroft turned in a well-flighted free-kick from skipper James Knight.

Bracknell, with skipper Dave Hancock returning from injury, enjoyed more possession, but wasted chances and they needed a penalty – awarded for a foul on Liam Ferdinand – to draw level through Seb Bowerman just before half time.

Defender Jeff Brown restored Binfield’s lead with a well-placed low drive on 52 minutes and four minutes later substitute Eddie Lee made it 3-1 with a shot that squirmed through keeper Chris Grace’s grasp.

“The third goal summed up our night – it was a comedy of errors. Some of our defending was terrible,” stated Davies.

He moved upfield to pull a goal back in the 85th minute and shortly afterwards the Robins nearly equalised when he struck the underside of the crossbar.

Bracknell complete their warm-up matches at Thame United on Saturday.

Moles manager Roger Herridge said he is not getting carried away with this win which ended a good pre-season for his team.

But he added: “We are in a far better position than were at this time last year in terms of the quality of the squad and their fitness.”

Binfield begin their league campaign with two away games – at Ardley on Saturday and Wantage next Tuesday, while Ascot United visit Bishops Cleeve FC on Saturday before hosting Ardley United.