Binfield overcame numerous problems to secure a 3-2 victory at Tuffley Rovers on Saturday, writes Dave Wright.

“Considering everything, it was a great win,” said manager Roger Herridge, who was forced to name a depleted squad due to players being injured or not available.

With the M4 being closed in the Reading area, he and his team faced a heavily delayed trip down to Gloucestershire and their late arrival led to the kick-off being put back by 10 minutes. Just as they were taking to the field, their kit arrived - it had been on the road since 10.30am - but by then the Moles had borrowed a yellow strip from their hosts.

Herridge suffered another blow in the warm-up with Joe Gritt pulling up and not being able to play, leaving only 12 fit players.

This meant a debut for 17-year-old centre-back Jamie Griggs alongside Jeff Brown, who was forced to play despite carrying an injury.

“Browny had to play through the pain barrier and Jamie was outstanding,” commented Herridge. “They played superbly against the very experienced Tuffley No 9, Shayne Bradley.

“Everyone put in a tremendous shift, but special mention has to go to our two young wide players, Carlo Santoro, who is 18, and Will Shaw, who’s 19. They both had to show a side to their game that doesn’t come naturally to them.”

Shaw and Jack Thomson-Wheeler were involved in the opening goal with the latter’s cross being turned home from close range by Ian Davies.

Shaw volleyed home the second from the edge of the area for Binfield’s second, but strikes from Tuffley’s Shayne Anson and Brett James left the score 2-2 with less than 30 minutes on the clock.

The second half saw play swing from end to end before the Moles grabbed their 72-minute winner.

Brad Pagliaroli saw his shot saved by keeper Eric Edge, but the ball rebounded back to him and he was brought down in the area by Sam Hill. Pagliaroli picked himself up to slot home the penalty into the bottom corner.

Rovers threw men forward in a bid to grab an equaliser, but the battling Moles held out for a deserved win, leaving them unbeaten in seven games.

“Taking all that was thrown at us on the day, we were absolutely delighted to come away with all three points, it was a great win,” beamed Herridge. “It shows the character in the squad.”

He added: “I believe the M4 will be closed again in two weeks time when we go to Brimscombe & Thrupp.”

The Moles hit the same motorway again tonight (Wednesday, 7.30pm) with a trip to Royal Wootton Bassett, while this Saturday they are home to Longlevens (3pm).

Binfield have been drawn away to Division 1 West side Shrivenham in the third round of the Bluefin Sport Hellenic League Cup on a date to be arranged.

  • EVERSLEY & California lost ground on leaders Worcester Park in the Combined Counties Division One title race following a 6-2 defeat.

Second-placed Boars were hoping to make home advantage count and close the gap on their opponents on Saturday.

But the hosts came off second best as Worcester Park romped to victory that leaves them eight points clear of Eversley at the top having played the same number (17) of games.

Tom Costelloe put the visitors in front on 18 minutes and Harrison Deacon added a second six minutes later.

Eversley pulled one back on 37 minutes when James Robertson beat the offside trap and converted from a free-kick.

However, Joe Cheeseman made it 3-1 to the visitors 10 minutes into the second half before the fourth arrived on 62 minutes, Deacon netting after a poor back-pass had been cut out.

Deacon completed his hat-trick just three minutes later before Archie Watkins made it 6-1 in the 76th minute.

Eversley did pull one back in the 93rd minute, but it was too little too late.

Earlier, Eversley eased into the third round of the Aldershot Senior Cup with a 7-3 victory over Ash United last week.

Robertson grabbed a hat-trick Brad Brown among the other goalscorers in the second-round clash.

Eversley return to league action this Saturday when they travel to Badshot Lea (3pm).