READING FC picked up their first win in four Championship matches with a comfortable victory against Barnsley.

A clinical Dave Edwards header on 19 minutes and a Joey van den Berg screamer nine minutes later put Royals in control before substitute Jon Dadi Bodvarsson added a late third.

The result moved Royals up to 16th in the table, nine points above the drop zone and the same number adrift of the play-off spots.

It was hardly a complete performance from Jaap Stam's men, but they were too strong for the Tykes for much of the contest as they kept their second successive clean sheet.

Royals fans have been crying out for a settled team and they finally got their wish as Stam named a unchanged side for the first time this season.

The only difference from Saturday's 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday came on the bench where Adrian Popa replaced Omar Richards.

Royals started the night on the same points as Barnsley (20) but one place below their opponents due to an inferior goal difference of one.

Stam's men created the first real opening in the seventh minute after Mo Barrow's cross had been put behind for a corner.

Barnsley keeper Adam Davies punched Liam Kelly's flag-kick straight to Sone Aluko whose return shot flew over the crossbar.

Bracknell News:

Barnsley keeper Adam Davies punches clear under pressure.

Reading, though, did break the deadlock in the 19th minute from another set piece.

Again, Kelly whipped in another superb delivery to the near post where Edwards flashed an improvised header past Davies and into the net.

Davies got a strong hand on the ball, but Edwards' header had sufficient power to bounce over the line.

It was a promising start from Stam's men - and it got even better when they doubled their lead nine minutes later.

Barnsley's defence sat back as Royals attacked and Van Den Berg needed no invitation to try his luck as he hammered a 30-yard piledriver past the flapping Davies and into the top corner.

Little was coming back from the Tykes as Reading threatened again before the break, Leandro Bacuna volleying wide on the angle after Yann Kermorgant had picked him out.

The Tykes had offered little and it almost became too comfortable for the Royals as they knocked it about with ease.

So there was little surprise when Barnsley boss Paul Heckinbottom made a triple change at the break and replaced Gary Gardner, Ike Ugbo plus skipper and ex-Reading youth defender, Angus MacDonald, with Matty Pearson, Mamadou Thiam and Tom Bradshaw.

And despite a brief spell of pressure from the visitors, Royals remained in control allowing Stam the luxury to take off Kermorgant and give Jon Dadi Bodvarsson a run-out for the last 35 minutes.

Barnsley began to show more urgency in their play as Thiam fired into the side netting during a rare attack.

Bracknell News:

Sone Aluko sends over a cross against Barnsley.

But Royals almost grabbed a third on the counter attack when Aluko's first-time effort rolled agonisingly wide from Barrow's assist.

Barnsley's Harvey Barnes dragged an effort wide of Vito Mannone's goal with 20 minutes remaining then Brad Potts fired one straight into the hands of the Reading keeper.

Yet Royals were a whisker away from extending their lead in the 77th minute when Liam Moore's strike from the edge of the box beat Davies but rebounded off the post to safety.

Barnsley kept pushing men forward and nearly pulled one back six minutes from time, Barnes cutting in from the right before driving a low shot against the near post with Mannone beaten before Moore hacked the rebound off the line with Bradshaw bearing down.

However, Reading killed off the clash in the 89th minute when Bodvarsson headed into an unguarded net after Davies had tipped Popa's long-range effort onto the bar.

It was, in truth, no more than Reading deserved as they prepare for the long trip to Sunderland this Saturday (3pm).

Reading: Mannone, Gunter, McShane (c), Moore, Van den Berg, Bacuna, Edwards, Kelly, Aluko (Popa 67), Barrow, Kermorgant (Bodvarsson 55). Subs not used: Jaakkola, Clement, Ilori, Blackett, Beerens.

Barnsley: Davies, Yiadom, MacDonald (Pearson 46), Lindsay, Fryers, Williams, Gardner (Thiam 46), Moncur, Potts, Ugbo (Bradshaw 46), Barnes. Subs not used: Townsend, McCarthy, McGeehan, Hedges. Booked: Williams 82.

Referee: Darren Bond.

Attendance: 13,317 (Barnsley 336).