A CARBON monoxide scare reminded residents of the importance of having working detectors in their home.

Firefighters and paramedics attended Bathurst Road, Winnersh at around 4.40am on Sunday.

They used breathing apparatus after an open log fire caused the harmful substance to spread through the house.

Watch manager Darren Barrett from Wokingham Road: "This really demonstrates the importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector.

"The male and female were checked over by paramedics and they were fine. They called us and got out before we arrived because the alarm activated.

"We ventilated the house and isolated the gas and electric and we were there for around an hour in total.

"We committed two breathing apparatus after confirming there was carbon monoxide present."

Carbon monoxide is an odourless poisonous gas and can kill people if they are exposed to high levels.