THREE windows were destroyed when a fire broke out on the top floor of a multi-storey building in Bracknell.

Panicked residents alerted the fire brigade when thick plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from the Shiplake House in Harmans Water.

Fire crews arrived to discover an electronic piano had overheated following an electrical fault and sparked a blaze.

The residents of the flat, who work in a nearby Chinese restaurant, were not home at the time of the fire.

Luckily, the door to the room was kept shut, causing the fire to remain inside a single room.

Crew manager Steve Borham said: “We were called out at 6.15pm on Friday.

“There was a fault with the keyboard. It had over heated.

“We’re not sure if they put things over the top of it to make it heat up faster.

“Everyone was out at the time, they were all at work.

“It broke three windows, it was a top floor flat.

“The fire had been going for quite some time when we got there.”

Firefighters left the scene shortly after 7.30pm.