Locals have shared their shock after they were woken by the smell of shock and a pub favourite ablaze.

Emergency services were called to The Bull Inn in Arborfield Cross in the early hours of Tuesday morning (April 9).

The fire has since been put out and a spokesperson from the pub said: "We are absolutely devastated and shocked, but grateful that no one was harmed and all of our staff are safe.

"We will remain closed whilst we deal with the situation and will keep everyone updated with our progress."

Thames Valley Police have confirmed that the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Hayley Sykes lives nearby and said: "We were woken by the smell of smoke.

"The fire brigade worked so quickly to get it under control. Pleased to hear everyone is safe."

Tamara Plankton shared that her partner is "devastated" to hear the news. 

"He restored the barn over 20 years ago and can't believe what has happened," she added

Meanwhile, Jackie Ward added: "So sorry to see this. Absolutely devastating for you all, especially after all the hard work in revamping the pub and outside areas.

"Relieved to hear that everyone is safe, after the shock has gone you will feel that's the most important thing.

"I'm sure you'll bounce back from this terrible event and your customer base will be there to support you all."

Others recounted how they had eaten at the pub just days ago and the staff and food were "superb".