THREE teenagers who chased a 15 year old and battered him in a 'hate crime' attack in Wokingham have been spared jail.

Reading Magistrates' youth court yesterday heard that the teenage victim was held down and kicked repeatedly in the head by the group, before being called a 'black c***'.

The court heard how the vicious attack had been arranged on social media, and shocking video footage was shown to the court.

The court heard they did not know the date of offence, but the prosecutor said police "received video footage in October 2020" but could not say when it was filmed.

Prosecuting, Lucy Eastwood told how the attack had taken place in a children’s play park in Charwood Road, Wokingham, and had come to light after smartphone footage was sent to police.

ALSO READ: The total number of Covid-19 deaths across Berkshire - and where they happened

As they were all aged 15, the teenagers were kept anonymous for legal reasons and were called boy A, boy B and boy C.

Describing the footage, Ms Eastwood said: “The defendants are seen to chase the victim, who slipped and fell on to the floor.

“Boy A holds the victim down while all three punch and kick him.

“Boy B continues to punch him and kicks him to the head. Boy C kicks him several times to the head and he is heard in the footage to call the victim a ‘black c***’.”

The magistrates watched footage of the boys walking away after having battered the victim, who was pushed into a bush.

Play area in Charwood Road, Wokingham. Google Maps

Play area in Charwood Road, Wokingham. Google Maps

Boys A and B both admitted one count of common assault, while Boy C admitted one count of racially aggravated common assault.

Ms Eastwood told the court Boy C should receive an uplift in sentence because there was a ‘hate crime’ element to his offence.

Boy C had a previous conviction for criminal damage and giving a false report of a fire to the authorities, the court heard.

Speaking to the magistrates, Boy C said: “These boys came down to Wokingham and through social media asked us to come and fight them.

“When I saw him, he was with a couple of other boys and I just started fighting, I regret it now though.”

Boy C appeared at Reading Youth Court by video link, wearing ripped jeans and a white polo shirt, to receive his sentence.

Paul Gilmartin, defending Boy C, said: “The defendant knows he should not have become involved with that but he cannot turn the clock back and make things right, as much as he wishes he could.

“He himself understands how serious this offence is and that effectively he has come to the end of the line here to the kind of offences one could commit before he goes into custody, even at 15-years-old.”

ALSO READ: In the Dock: Results from court

Lawyers on behalf of the defendants had said the victim was accused by three girls in the local area of assaulting them, which had sparked the confrontation.

Presiding magistrate Chris Juden sentenced Boy C to a 12-month youth rehabilitation order, which required him to comply with a supervision requirement, an activity requirement for 10 days, and not to communicate with the victim.

Mr Juden warned Boy C not to break the order, adding: “Bearing in mind how nasty this attack was, particularly with the kicks to the head and the stamping on it, you could find yourself going into custody.”

Boy C was also given four weeks to pay costs of £127, which his uncle said he would pay.

“We do expect that the boy will be making that up to you by way of additional work around the house”, Mr Juden said. “He has to understand the consequences of his actions. He must not walk away from this without knowing the pain of paying that back.”

Boy A was handed a nine-month Youth Rehabilitation Order and Boy B was sentenced to a six-month Youth Rehabilitation Order.