Three police officers have been cleared of lying about a car crash involving a marked car smashing into the side of a teenager's vehicle after running a red light.

PCs Max Michel, 28, and Shaun Charnock, 34, were responding to an emergency call when they drove into the driver's side of a car at a junction in west London.

Michel had driven the police vehicle along the Uxbridge Road in Feltham and through a red traffic light with Charnock in the passenger seat, prosecutor Daniel Higgins said.

He told the jury on the first day of the officers' trial that PCs Michel and Charnock had "put their heads together" to blame Raj Mehra for the collision, and were supported in this effort by PC Ryan Francis, 27, of Hampton Crescent, Bracknell, who attended the scene to report the crash.

Prosecutors claimed they had "put their heads together" to blame Mr Mehra for the collision.

Francis was accused of supporting his colleagues by presenting a report in relation to the accident that resulted in the victim being wrongly blamed.

CCTV later recovered of the incident showed the police vehicle had moved forward through a red traffic light.

Mr Mehra said Michel had first asked him how he was, before becoming rude and shouting at him.

He added: "Before this incident I always respected the police. I thought of them as a protection for me. Since this has happened, that has changed."

In his evidence, Michel told the jury: "I never made anything up. I told everything as I 100 per cent believed it at the time I made my statement."

He had just over four years of active service at the time of the collision, as well as a period of time working as a special constable.

Michel said that, since becoming a response driver in 2016, he had been driving with blue lights and sirens "more than once a shift".

He told the jury there would have been no consequences for him if he had been found to be at fault, and had no reason to lie about the accident.

He added: "Police driving is very demanding and mistakes happen."

The three officers were cleared by a jury at Southwark Crown Court after just over three hours of deliberations.