A HORRIFIED resident has been left shaken after using public toilets in Birch Hill when the door collapsed onto the floor.

Muriel Gater from Wooden Hill, Bracknell went to use the toilets at the side of the shops when the door came crashing down on Friday, February 8.

She said: “As I pulled the door to, it fell off hurting my arm as it wrenched it but more worryingly it would have killed anyone if they had been walking past. The area is normally really busy.”

Muriel inspected the door and noticed that it was not properly secured.

Members of the public attempted to lift the door back into place, but it was too heavy.

She added: “Loads of people came out after and tried to help and the more and more I think about it the more horrified I feel.”

“I could have asked my grandson to wait outside and it could have fallen off and hit him.”

Ms Gater believes the council where already aware about the dangers of the door.

She added: “The council knew the door wasn’t working properly a week before it happened, and they didn’t do anything about it.

“I saw someone I know after the event and they said there was a sign on the door saying not to use the toilet, however I feel the council are negligent as at that point they should have either secured it shut or totally removed it.”

Muriel is worried that the door could have harmed more people.

She said: “When I went to use the toilet if there was a sign I didn't see it as the door was open. It's really shaken me up to think someone, or several people, could have been killed, or at very least been seriously injured.

“I am worried that if these doors are used in other places another could do the same, only next time a passer-by may be killed.”

Bracknell Forest Council are in the process of investigating the incident in order to make a statement.

Muriel believes there should be more safety checks.

She added: “It worries me that this will happen again somewhere in the country, only the next person may not be so lucky to escape being crushed.

“I would like the council to firstly ensure it is doing proper and regular health and safety checks and also risk assessments on this type of thing.”