WITH heavy snow and cold temperatures hitting Berkshire overnight, here are some tips about how your employers should deal with the disruptions.

The Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for more snow to fall throughout the day.

There is a 60 per cent chance of light snow and ice across the south of the country until 3pm today.

If my workplace closes do they still have to pay me?

If a workplace closes then workers are still entitled to be paid, especially if they are ready and willing to work when the employer shuts the office.

According to the employment advice and conciliation service (ACAS) workers should try and work at home or take a holiday.

What if I can’t get to work because of the bad weather and my workplace is open?

According to ACAS there is no legal right for employees to be paid for missing work due to travel disruptions or bad weather.

What if my school or childcare provider has shut due to the weather?

Parents can take unpaid time to make alternative arrangements for their children.

If other arrangements can’t be made, parents can look after them themselves and take unpaid parental leave.

What are the alternative arrangements for disrupted work?

Employers should allow workers to come in later than normal if the weather or travel disruptions improve.

If the disruptions continue, working from home or flexible working hours should be offered to let workers make up for lost working times, according to ACAS.

Is there a minimum legal temperature in the workplace?

The code of practice states the temperature in a workplace must be at least 17 degrees Celsius in offices and 13 Celsius in other work environments.

For more information about working rights during bad weather, visit: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4050