THE death of a man from Bullbrook was caused by an industrial-related disease, an inquest has ruled.

John Roderick Dalzell, 73, of Deepfield Road, died last year at the Thames Hospice in Windsor after years of failing health.

Mr Dalzell and his wife Barbara were long-standing members of the Bracknell Conservation Volunteers, dedicating their free time to protecting the local environment and promoting wildlife.

An inquest held into his death, which was held at Reading Town Hall on Wednesday, April 4, heard how Mr Dalzell had spent more than 27 years working for a telecommunications company where he regularly came into contact with asbestos when replacing cables.

In a statement he prepared before his death, Mr Dalzell detailed the conditions he worked in between 1966 and 1993, which included removing cables from plastic casing, working in confined spaces and clearing up dust.

Mr Dalzell's health began to deteriorate in 2008, when he began to complain of breathlessness, and was later diagnosed with fibrosis of the lung. Following years of health reviews and scans, doctors established that he was suffering from asbestosis, and inflammation and scarring of the lung tissue caused by exposure to asbestos.

Mr Dalzell's health further deteriorated leading to his admission to the hospice, where he passed away on December 5.

The Chief Coroner for Berkshire, Peter Bedford said: "I need to be satisfied that Mr Dalzell died from an asbestos-related death, and that he was exposed to asbestos during his employment, and my answer to those questions is yes."

The Bracknell Conservation Volunteers issued a statement on its website, which read: "John was unfailingly cheerful, no matter how wet or muddy things got. He will be greatly missed.

"We at Bracknell Conservation Volunteers extend our sympathies to Barbara in her sad loss."