Swifty on and off track

Published: 26 Aug 2011 09:30

Having done many of the nice low-incline bike rides in the Slough and Windsor area, Mike Swift, Berkshire Media Group's chief photographer, decided it was time to re-start his regular 'Mike on a Bike' feature in the Reading Chronicle and Bracknell News. In retrospect, an un-researched route and a January morning did not make the ideal opener to a new cycle of cycling articles, but resilient Swifty, in his inimitable fashion, came out smiling. Just.

My dad, John Swift, is a member of the Kennet and Avon Canal trust and I asked him how far it was to ride the canal towpath from Newbury to Reading. About 10 miles or so, he said. It was 22 and having not ridden any serious distance for six months, and after doing the ride I was walking like John Wayne for a couple of days afterwards.

What a fantastic trip though. I caught the train from Reading West, near the Chronicle offices, to Newbury at lunchtime and rode from Newbury station to the canal.

Feeling a bit peckish, I felt I deserved a quick char and a sarni before I started the '10 mile' ride. The Kennett and Avon canal trust shop and tea shop (decked out like an old Lyons tea room, for those that remember them), by the canal, is a marvellous place and I had the best sausage and egg sandwich I have had in awhile there.

And so it was that the epic ride started, with my Coleman's mustard enhanced breath making a fog in the cold mid-January air as I rode east towards the mighty metropolis that is Reading.

The ride switches frequently from the north to the south side of the canal bank and you have to cross the road bridge to the north side to start the journey.

Near Newbury there were a good number of pedestrians and cyclists using the towpath but the further you travel from the town the more tranquil it becomes. The ride was punctuated by the frequent sighting of river birds, with only occasional splosh of water against the banks and sounds from within or around moored canal boats, breaking the silence.

Some of the tow paths were quite sticky from the rain and quite hard to ride through but the drier bits were very smooth. Near Thatcham you pass the Thatcham Reed Bed Nature Reserve and in better weather that would definitely be worth stopping off at. After Thatcham the towpath becomes inundated with tree roots which, if you ride over at speed, will definitely put a head on a can of lunchtime Guinness, something that all cyclists (over the permitted age) should carry in their panniers, for medicinal purposes of course, as it is, I am told, a good source of iron!

Thatcham Station is a four mile marker and the whole journey runs close to and parallel with the Great Western Railway line running from London to the West Country. The line runs to the north side of the Kennet and Avon canal and the same distance to the north of the railway line runs the main A4 between Newbury and Reading.

For cyclists there are various hazards to negotiate. At certain points, the towpath is less than eight inches wide and if you go too fast you could come a cropper. There are some fields to cross that run alongside the canal and these too are hard work especially when wet. I ride a road/mountain bike cross but, in winter, I think this route would be more suitable to an off road mountain bike.

At Padworth I stopped off at the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust shop and cafe run by Lesley and Wayne Sangwell. My dad lives in Theale and is a member of the Trust. He drove down and met me there and we had a cup of tea and a chat with the franchise owners and also had a look at some of the boats under repair at the Reading Marine Company including the Trusts own tour boat 'The Rose of Hungerford'.

The direction I took was cycle route four which diverts off the towpath near to Theale. My advice is to take the diversion as it comes back onto the towpath about three quarters of a mile downstream.

The consequence of doing this in January was having to walk through three fields ankle deep in mud and of cow dung with my bike over my shoulder. Not the most fun bit of the trip. I was so tired at this point that I decided to pack up and get the train back to Reading from Theale. I didn't even have the energy to crack that time bomb can of Guinness in my pannier.

Unfortunately I missed the turn and by the time I realised it, I was nearer to Reading than to Theale and so I ploughed on. By the time I arrived at The Oracle it was getting dark and although utterly exhausted and walking like I had just had the 'man op', I was thrilled to have completed the ride. I would not recommend the ride for families with young children but in the summer I think it would be a fun day out if you fancy a 22 mile (not a 10 mile) bike ride. The moral of this story is, once you have become an adult, DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS! Mike Swift

Jump to first paragraph.

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

29 Nov 2013 09:30

Knights Island Sets the Scene for Adventure

There can surely be relatively few holidaymakers who really want to spend much of their hard-earned Mediterranean break rooting about in dusty old museums - but that's not what's on offer on the island the Romans called Melita.

27 Aug 2013 09:30

Do big-value family holiday deals include "fun"?

Go online and almost any kind of leisure offer in the UK has attracted dozens of customer comments, and although these are obviously highly partial, when 100 apparently different people talk about, say, a family hotel in south Ayrshire being wonderful on all counts - and not least genuine hospitality - it's probably going to be pretty good.

19 Mar 2013 09:30 • Annabel Langley

Berkshire food producers: four of the best

FOUR Berkshire food producers have forged a name for themselves in the British food market.

22 Feb 2013 13:30

REVIEWED: Rumpelstiltskin and the Wheel of Fortune at South Street

It's not the first time Andy Lawrence of the Theatre of Widdershins has brought his props and puppets to Reading and judging by this latest production it won't be the last.

Social: Comments0 comments

25 Jul 2012 11:20

Festival of steam

THE Cathedrals Express will be charging full-steam ahead into Reading this summer, offering local residents the chance to see Britain's historic towns and some of its cathedral cities.

Social: Comments0 comments

25 Jul 2012 10:30

Travel apps for silver surfers

KEEPING in touch, finding places to go on a web browser, looking for a budget hotel while abroad can incur hefty roaming charges, but with a few nifty smartphone and iPad apps, holidaymakers can keep a lookout for the best deals while on the move.

Social: Comments0 comments

25 Jul 2012 09:30

Leading by learning - Loyd Grossman

FOR broadcaster, entrepreneur and serial student, Loyd Grossman, the pursuit of knowledge is a lifelong commitment and an enduring passion. Now in his 62nd year, he is coming to the end of the first 12-months of a PhD in the history of art at Cambridge University.

Social: Comments0 comments

8 May 2012 11:00

Plant care during the dry spell

MANY gardeners may be looking outside at the murky skies and pouring rain, thinking 'Drought? What drought?' But the sad fact is that last year was one of the driest on record, with below-average rainfall for 20 of the past 25 months.

8 May 2012 10:30

A pain-free alternative to surgery

GASTRIC band surgery is now widely used to help those with ongoing weight problems. During a complex surgical procedure a band is fitted around the stomach to make it smaller so that food intake is lessened. The results can be miraculous - TV personality Fern Britton is just one example.

8 May 2012 09:30

Stop fleeing from fluff

FOR animal lovers who suffer from streaming eyes and a runny nose every time they so much as give their pet a friendly pat, caring for man's best friend can seem like walking an endless tightrope.

13 Mar 2012 14:45

Celebrating the Emerald Isle

THINK of leaping leprechauns, folk music and shamrocks and St Patrick's Day is often the first thing that springs to mind. But for those who are truly dedicated to the popular Irish holiday, there's more to the celebrations than donning something green, sampling tasty tipples or spouting a limerick or two.

Social: Comments0 comments

7 Mar 2012 13:00

Poetry competition is a grand slam for writers

POETRY is centuries older than the novel, but its popularity has waned. This could be changing. Is it the recognition that poetry, song lyrics and rap are all related that has sparked a new level of interest? Or, in these times of immediate communication, is it that the brevity of poems - being shorter and punchier than the novel - has helped them find a renewed popularity?

Social: Comments0 comments

20 Feb 2012 14:40

Getting in touch with the wild side

AS SPRING approaches so does the chance for people to get outside and scour the skies for local wildlife. Recent initiatives, such as National Nest Box week, have been helping give youngsters and parents the opportunity to put care and love into a personalised home for their feathered friends, while encouraging the conservation of wildlife and birds.

20 Feb 2012 14:25

Chic shops and river hops

TUCKED away in leafy south Oxfordshire, beautiful Henley-on-Thames is best known as a base for its regattas and riverside walks. However, to the seasoned shopper, unique boutiques and stores of great character make this quaint town ideal to visit any day of the week. It is also a perfect place for a weekend break.

21 Dec 2011 09:30 • Correspondent

Savour the real taste of France

FRANCE is one of those destinations that draws you back time after time - there is always something new to discover - from glorious scenery to cultural treasures or regional cuisine.

26 Aug 2011 09:30 • Correspondent

Neo miss or fisher queen?

Like most people in a demanding job, a 10 hour day is not unusual and 'me time' is spent checking my to-do list - so escaping the confines of our office in west Reading and arriving in Theale for my first fly-fishing lesson, I immediately felt relaxed and the weight of hundreds of emails, phone calls and deadlines evaporated as I stepped into the tranquil grounds of Sportfish.

26 Aug 2011 09:30 • Correspondent

A room with a view

I've always felt the need to holiday abroad to be able to switch off completely, but have recently discovered I don't need to leave British soil to find the perfect getaway.

26 Aug 2011 09:30 • Correspondent

In a league of her own

What has 103 teams, over 1,000 women participants and is approaching its 40th birthday? Gina Macgregor, MBE, knows the answer. It is the netball league she started in May 1971.

25 Aug 2011 09:30 • Correspondent

Mission accomplished

Closeted away in a Maiden's Green garage workshop, off and on, for the last two years, Oliver Bettison and his son Alexander, emerged in the early summer, triumphant, with a pristine Mark II Dellow. It was a labour of love and a fabulous achievement.

25 Aug 2011 09:30 • Correspondent