COACH Daniel Ap Dafydd was left frustrated after Bracknell RFC slipped to a second National Three South West defeat in three games with a 27-22 reverse at Salisbury.

A game which ebbed and flowed had the visitors 22-20 ahead going into injury time, but a controversial late try snatched victory for Salisbury.

And Ap Dafydd said: “We are all disappointed and hurting after the loss, but I know every man involved tried their best and that losing was not down to lack of effort.”

The hosts took a fourth-minute lead when a chip kick from fly-half Robbie Keith allowed him to regather the ball and set winger Jon Goldsmith in for a try, Keith converting.

His penalty made it 10-0 on 10 minutes, but Bracknell hit back on the stroke of half time when they fashioned a driving maul from a line-out, then spread the ball wide for full-back Andy Slade to cross. Lewis Dennett added the extras to cut the gap to 10-7.

The visitors continued to press and Salisbury were dealt a further blow when Keith was sent to the sin-bin. Although Bracknell could not add more points before the interval, they did move in front early in the second half when Lachlan Valentine offloaded to wing Ben Yates for him to score. Dennett’s conversion was just wide but the Lily Hill Men led 12-10.

Minutes later, Bracknell extended their lead with a try from Valentine, gathering his own charge down to score his side’s third try of the day. Dennett’s conversion put them 19-10 up, only for the returning Keith to land a penalty and cut the gap to six points.

And Salisbury moved in front thanks to a converted try under the Bracknell posts, replacement Tom Ranaboldo the try scorer.

However, as the clock moved into the red the visitors went back in front thanks to a Dennett penalty.

From the restart Salisbury failed to kick the ball the required 10 metres and a scrum to Bracknell on the halfway line was awarded.

Salisbury won the set piece against the head and broke down the Bracknell flank, and when the ball became loose in the Bracknell try area, the hosts’ scrum-half Dave Tonge reacted quickest to touch down.

The referee judged the loose ball had been caused by a Bracknell knock-on, awarding the match-winning try to Salisbury. Keith’s conversion added insult to injury.

Bracknell travel to Brixham this Saturday (3pm).