READING FC Under 18s defeated Millwall in a fiery FA Cup third-round clash that saw both sides finish with 10 men.

Royals midfielder Ethan Coleman and Lions youngster Lucas Sinclair were sent off early in the second half following an on-field scrap.

But it was the hosts who go through to the fourth round thanks to goals from Danny Loader and Ayo Faniyan in the first half.

Millwall burst out of the traps at Madejski Stadium last night but were denied the opening goal when Adam Desbois dived full-stretch to keep out Sinclar’s 18-yard strike that was destined for the top corner.

Royals hit back with Tom Holmes prodding wide from Coleman’s cut-back from a Jordan Holsgrove free-kick.

And David Dodd’s youngsters broke the deadlock in the 21st minute, Loader beating the offside trap to collect a pass from Scotland U19 international Holsgrove before slotting under the Lions keeper Sam Jackson.

Royals increased their lead six minutes before the break when Andre Burley found Faniyan whose slick shot on the turn flew into the top corner of the visitors’ net.

Yet there was no time for the home side to relax as Millwall issued a strong response.

Desbois had to be at his best again to keep out a header from Millwall skipper Jesse Debrah.

But the Lions pulled one back during first-half injury time to put a different spin on the scoreline at half time, George Alexander bundling the ball home from a cross from the left.

Tempers then flared soon after the restart as both sides had a player sent off.

A heavy challenge by Sinclair on Coleman in the middle of the pitch sparked an ugly brawl involving numerous players.

The officials took their time before referee Matt Rushton brandished a red card to both Sinclair and Ethan five minutes into the second half.

The drama continued as Reading withstood a period of pressure before winning a penalty when Jamal Balogun was hauled down by Debrah.

But Holsgrove’s spot-kick was expertly saved by a diving Jackson to keep the Lions in touch.

Nevertheless, Reading continued the threaten with Jack Buchanan missing the target by an inch with a stinging effort before Holsgrove also went close with a low strike.

And they stood firm during six minutes of time added on to secure the victory and a place in the fourth round when they will travel to Charlton Athletic on Saturday, January 20.

Reading U18: Desbois, Burley (Elva-Fountaine 46), Odimayo (c), Holmes, Balogun, Buchanan, Faniyan (Simmo 77), Coleman, Loader, Holsgrove, Nolan (Wilson 90). Subs not used: Hillson, Lawrence. Booked: Loader 69, Buchanan 73, Wilson 90+3. Red card: Coleman 50.

Millwall U18: Jackson, West (Taylor 83), Tiensia, Hanson, Debrah, Strachan, Olaofe, Wicks, Alexander, Saunders-Henry (Topalloj 83), Sinclair. Subs not used: Duncan, Wright, Mitchell. Booked: Wicks 87. Red card: Sinclair 50.

Referee: Matt Rushton.