And he knows his squad needs strengthening after seeing them lose 2-0 to Premier Division rivals Ardley United in the Hellenic League’s Bluefin Cup final.

The Yellamen had defeated their Oxfordshire opponents 2-1 in the final last year, but they never really looked capable of retaining the trophy after a below-par performance at Didcot Town’s ground on Monday.

“I am massively disappointed,” admitted Lamb, whose side conceded a goal in each half.

“It was one of those games when we didn’t turn up. I can’t even put my finger on what went wrong.

“Sometimes you can carry one or two (players) but there were a few who were not quite at the races.

“It was not a good way to finish our season.

“This time last year we had won (the cup); everyone was buzzing and looking forward to going back pre-season. But when you lose it is more doom and gloom.

“We have had a good season and need to get the cup defeat out of our system.We need to learn from our mistakes and kick on.” And Lamb has wasted no time in starting his preparations for the 2015-16 campaign.

“I know we need to strengthen the team,” he said.

“We have identified targets and spoken to a couple already, so over the summer it could be a busy time. We definitely need to bring in some new bodies. We want to win the league and cups and we need this club to continue progressing.” Ascot could have no complaints after losing 2-0 to Ardley United, a team they had done the double over in the league.

The Yellamen also defeated the Oxon side 2-1 in last year’s final, but a repeat never looked on the cards as they produced a disappointing performance that saw them concede a goal in each half.

A long, hard season, which has seen them play 58 matches, seemed to have taken its toll.

In front of a crowd of 240, they were well beaten by an Ardley side who had finished five places below their rivals in the Premier Division table.

Kevin Brock’s team have been struggling for numbers in recent weeks – they had only 11 including a stand-in keeper for a recent game – and this was reflected again in the final, where they could name only two substitutes compared to Ascot’s five.

But the Oxon side held the upper hand for much of the game. More energetic around the park, they were strong and inventive in midfield, solid in defence and showed more thrust going forward.

Ascot had their moments in front of the Ardley goal, but their finishing generally lacked sharpness and accuracy.

They were crying out for a player who could lift the team and inject more spark, but no-one could fit the bill.

They certainly missed influential skipper Dave Hancock, who was ruled out by suspension.

Goalkeeper Chris Grace took over the captain’s armband and was soon tested by Ardley. Three high efforts never bothered the tall No.1, but when Ardley hit the ball hard and low he was left rooted to the spot.

Kieran Scott’s shot from 20 yards appeared to take a slight deflection as it whistled just inside Grace’s left-hand post to give Ardley a 16th-minute lead.

Ascot tried to hit back and did manage to create a few chances before half time. Jon Bennett saw his effort blocked, while a Joe Yeates header was comfortably dealt with by keeper Jack Harding.

Then a move involving Joe Grant and Bennett created a good chance for Damian Markman which he failed to take and Bennett was only inches away from getting his head to a Rob Saunders cross.

Ascot made a promising start to the second half with left back Andy Dean making runs down the flank, but they let themselves down in the final third of the pitch.

With 57 minutes gone, manager Jeff Lamb made a double substitution with Joe Gritt and Lee Boon replacing James Burrell and Grant.

And Boon nearly made an instant impact. He seized onto the ball close to goal, but Harding managed to get down to block his effort.

Ascot’s hopes of a leveller, however, disappeared on 67 minutes when the boys in blue doubled their lead in spectacular fashion.

Jon Gardner’s long pass put Luke Ingram through on the left and from outside the area he unleashed a tremendous shot past Grace into the far corner.

The nearest the east Berkshire side came to pulling a goal back was when Bennett headed Gritt’s right-wing cross into the side netting.

Soon afterwards, Bennett gave way to Leon Yarnie, whose physical presence caused Ardley some minor problems, but by now Ascot had ran out of steam.

The FA Vase quarter-finalists have given their fans plenty to cheer this season, but Bank Holiday Monday wasn’t one of those days.

There was a slight disappointment for the squad and management staff after the game as league chairman Bob Dalling had only 16 runners-up medals to hand out.