Goals from Julian Harley and Luke Scope either side of Nick Payne’s effort for Finchampstead were enough to give the Sumas all three points in a 2-1 victory, though Sean Woodward had to save a penalty late on to preserve the win for the visitors.

It was always going to be an exciting game between two local rivals riding high in the table and both teams delivered in front of a bumper Christmas crowd of 171.

Finchampstead were unbeaten since September in the league but got off to the worst possible start in front of their home crowd as the visitors took the lead within two minutes.

Jake Butler’s slide rule pass released Scope out wide and his pin-point cross was poked home by Harley to put Wokingham ahead.

It was the perfect start by Dan Bateman’s side and they were in total control early on as Scope, Butler and Dan Collier all missed chances to double the lead.

Finchampstead were struggling to match their opponents but they levelled in fortuitous circumstances a minute before the break.

A free-kick 50 yards out was delivered into the box by Payne and Woodward collided with his own defenders as he went to collect it, allowing the ball to roll straight into the goal.

Finchampstead had been second best thoughout the first-half and could count themselves fortunate to be level at the break, but they couldn’t push on to take advantage of the let-off.

In true derby style, a flurry of yellow cards were handed out at the start of the second-half as both sides threw themselves into challenges.

It was a committed, fierce derby between two sides and Scope lit it up in the 58th minute with a goal of the season contender.

He won the ball and skipped past three challenges before curling the ball past the outstretched arm of Tom Bryant in the Finch goal.

It was the least the Sumas deserved and their task was made easier moments later as another late challenge sparked a fracas that saw Adam Green sent off for Finch. Scope was involved in the incident and was perhaps fortunate to escape with a yellow card.

Finch pushed forward late on despite their numerical disadvantage and were gifted a fantastic chance to level when James Charlton handled in the box in the 78th minute.

Payne stepped up and struck it low and hard, but Woodward made amends for his earlier error by springing to his right and tipping it past the post to deny the hosts.

Finch’s Ryan Tye couldn’t find the target in the closing stages and Wokingham saw out the game relatively comfortably to deservedly secure all three points at the Memorial Ground.

It turned into a fantastic day for Bateman’s side, as all their title rivals dropped points which allowed the Sumas to move up to second in the table with five games in hand.

Meanwhile, Finchampstead remain fourth in the league. They aim to bounce back when they host Headington Amateurs on Saturday (3pm).