The Yellamen marched into the fourth round of the competition with a 3-0 victory over Newport (Iow) on Saturday.

Goals from Jermaine Roache, Leon Yarnie and Jesse Wilson gave the Yellamen a deserved victory, and McGrotty admitted that it is natural for players and management to start dreaming of Wembley.

“I think if you ask anyone that is in the last 32 of the competition then they’ll say they’re definitely thinking of it,” he said. “It’s only fair but we realise it’ll be very tough.

“You need a bit of luck with draws and for things to go your way but then you never know.

“We know how much of a buzz the competition can bring. We made the quarter-finals two years ago and we’d love to go a bit further than that.” Ascot had lost four of their last seven games before Saturday’s victory and McGrotty was delighted with the response from his side, hailing it as the best display of the season.

“We were fantastic,” he added. “From the 10th minute onwards we were in complete control and I think it’s fair to say that it could’ve even been more.

“The lads knew what a big game it was and they responded magnficently.

“It was comfortably our best performance of the season and we were very pleased with the response.” It was a bitterly cold afternoon at the Racecourse, though the Yellamen supporters were warmed up as they witnessed a strong Ascot performance.

The hosts missed a golden chance to take the lead in the 10th minute when Yarnie skipped past a couple of challenges and crossed for Roche who somehow stabbed wide with an almost open goal at his mercy.

Daryl Mclean then raced onto Rob Saunders’ through-ball and saw his low shot well held by ‘Port goalkeeper Gary Streeter, before the hosts eventually took the lead in the 23rd minute.

It was a swift counter-attack from the hosts, with Andy Dean overlapping McLean and delivering a perfect cross for Roche, who made no mistake this time to give Ascot the lead.

The opening goal was the least the hosts deserved and they could’ve been 2-0 up moments before the break when Roche was left unmarked at a corner but he fired wide.

Ascot had been in total command but were given a warning at the start of the second-half as Iain Seabrook fired into the side-netting after escaping from Alex Rodrigues.

McLean went close in response for Ascot, before they doubled their lead in the 61st minute.

Yarnie picked the ball up on the right-hand side and spun past his marker, before curling a delighful left-footed effort past Streeter into the top left-hand corner.

It was the least the striker deserved, having terrorised the visitors all afternoon with his pace and power.

The goal settled any Ascot nerves and they went close on several occasions shortly after.

Yarnie fired at the keeper from close range before Roche hit the inside of the post as the Yellamen looked to put the game beyond doubt.

The third goal was finally added in the 80th minute when Wilson fired home from near the penalty spot.

It was a deserved victory for Ascot, who can now start planning for their Fourth Round tie at home to Colliers Wood United on Saturday, January 17.

In the meantime, Ascot are in Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup action on Saturday when they host Wokingham and Emmbrook (3pm).