The hosts matched the visitors in the early stages but Leigh Rayson failed to test Ascot goalkeeper Chris Grace when well placed, before the same striker was denied by an offside flag after Jordan Bryan and Jamie Barnes had led a breakaway.

Archie Haskayne’s 22nd minute corner was met with a flashing header by Rayson as his side grew in confidence, but Grace was happy to see it sail wide.

At the other end the hosts’ rearguard frustrated Ascot’s until the home side finally crumbled after a short spell of pressure from the visitors which led to the Yellamen taking a 32nd minute lead.

Lee Boon was left unmarked from Jesse Wilson’s throw-in, and he crossed for Jermaine Roche who did well to control a rising ball before hooking home from eight yards.

Home ‘keeper Tom Lennox then produced a breathtaking save to turn Leon Yarnie’s bullet header over the bar from Daryl Mclean’s dangerous cross.

Ascot manager Jeff Lamb was dismissed from the technical area for angry protests against a head-butting incident that left supporters of both sides amazed when it went unpunished, but as it was the half ended with his side one goal to the good.

A disjointed second half saw both sides unable to force a clear opening before Matt Jones replaced Roche after 69 minutes.

Grace was alert to tip Luke Finch’s deep free-kick over the bar before Barnes missed a golden opportunity in heading Ryan Young’s resultant corner wide when well placed, with Saracens made to rue the missed chances.

Jordan Berry replaced Saunders for Ascot with ten minutes remaining but it was Saracens who continued to belie their league position as Jordan Bryan dragged a shot wide of Grace’s post soon after.

Ascot’s desperate attempt to seal the win saw Jones fail to convert Yarnie’s excellent cross before almost earning his side a penalty after latching onto Berry’s through ball and being tackled in the box.

Lennox produced a fine save to claw Mclean’s low shot around the post and the Yellamen came even closer from the following corner, when the ball bounced back off the post in a goal mouth scramble.

However, Barnes came agonisingly close to turning home an equaliser to deny Ascot their win as time ran out, but the Yellamen held on for a scrappy victory.

Ascot travel to second-placed Highmoor Ibis on Saturday (3pm ko) before hosting Highworth on Tuesday.