It is now three losses on the bounce for Colin Millard’s side, who have picked up just one win from six outings this season.

On a sunnay day in Bracknell, a sole Jake White strike was the difference between the sides.

It was perhaps harsh on Town, who could’ve easily left Larges Lane with all three points themselves, but the quality of the finish from White was deserving of settling any game.

Bracknell headed into Saturday’s derby full of confidence after their 3-0 win at Ascot United last Monday.

But they were given a stern examination by Millard’s side, who posed a real threat to the hosts throughout the game.

James Hawtree had to be alert to tip over Danny Horscroft’s drive before captain Danny Lingwood rose highest to meet a corner - but he could only head wide with the goal gaping.

Encouraged by their start, Millard’s men pushed forward and went closest to opening the scoring when Josh Blackwood’s shot was cleared off the line by a desperate Tom Nugent.

Carl Davies then rounded the keeper but saw his shot from a tight angle strike the post, and the Robins were grateful to reach half-time level.

Reading would’ve been delighted with their first-half showing, but concerned that they hadn’t managed to grab the goal that would have given them the lead.

With Bracknell attacking down the slope, they showed a lot more attacking intent in the second-half and Jordan Rowland fired against the crossbar in the 50th minute as Ed Carpenter’s men looked to seize the initative.

It was a frantic game as chances came thick and fast at either end, but neither side could break the deadlock as Shane Cooper-Clark and Martin Bradshaw fired wide for Bracknell, whilst Davies failed to test Hawtree with an attempted lob.

In an end-to-end finale, the visitors missed a golden chance to win the game in the 86th minute when Josh Helmore robbed Andre Kelly of the ball but could only strike the left-hand post with Hawtree beaten.

And he was made to regret that miss just moments later as Tom Barratt released White who reached the ball before the advancing keeper to chip it over him and secure victory for the Robins with just three minutes remaining.

Reading’s next game is at home to Oxford City Nomads on Saturday, September 13 (3pm).