BRACKNELL Bees completed a NIHL South double over Milton Keynes Thunder with a convincing 6-2 win on Sunday, writes Dave Wright.

And, like their 7-5 away success four weeks earlier, most of the damaged was caused by the same two forwards.

Shaun Thompson scored a hat-trick in both fixtures, while Frankie Bakrlik followed up his treble with two goals at The Hive. They were also involved in a total of seven assists.

The dynamic duo have been largely responsible for their side’s very encouraging early-season form, but the whole squad are certainly playing their part.

They are looking more solid in defence, while also instigating some good link-up play with their forwards.

There is a good balance of youth and experience in player-coach Scott Spearing’s much-changed squad and they can only improve as they get more matches under their belt.

Although MK created the better chances in the opening stages, Bees enjoyed as much possession and Bakrlik twice went close before Thompson got the opening goal in the 16th minute, moving in from the left and firing through a crowded goalmouth into the bottom left-hand corner.

That was the only goal in the opening 20 minutes, but the second period brought four more in less than 18.

With just 48 seconds on the clock, Bakrlik opened his account for the evening from a chance set up by skipper Matt Foord.

A little over four minutes later the Czech import and Thompson found Callum Best out on the left and, shooting with power and accuracy, he found the far corner of the net.

Steve Osman saw his effort well saved before Bakrlik made it 4-0 on 35:34, his snap shot from distance giving Tom Annetts no chance.

Two minutes later the ex-Bees keeper was beaten again by Thompson with Harvey Stead earning the assist.

Stead and Josh Tetlow both made some strong interceptions to deny Thunder before the visitors did manage to pull a goal back through Hallden Barnes-Garner in the 47th minute.

Thompson completed his hat-trick (56:32), but Bakrlik was denied his treble by Annetts, who also saved well from Thompson and Jared Lane.

At the other end, Danny Milton, who had replaced Alex Mettam between the pipes, also pulled off a couple of decent stops, but he was unable to prevent Tom Carlon notching a last-minute goal for Thunder.

Foord was named Bees’ player of the match, his second such award this season.

On Saturday, the captain had led his side to an excellent 5-2 win at Basingstoke as they gained revenge for their recent 2-1 home defeat.

Bracknell produced an excellent team performance with several of their youngsters catching the eye.

It was also a good night for Bees newcomer Osman as he scored and was voted his team’s best player.

His goal came just after the half-hour mark – quickly cancelling out Bison’s opener from Aaron Connolly – and it took Bees only another 68 seconds to take the lead through Jan Bendik.

Bakrlik extended the lead with goals on 48:25 and 58:53 – the latter coming when they were a man down – with former Bison Thompson assisting in both of them.

Bees were down to three men when Ryan Sutton grabbed a second goal for the hosts in the final half-minute.

Mettam was beaten by just two of Bison’s 33-goal attempts after producing another top-drawer performance.

Bees will be hoping to extend their good run this weekend, when they host Streatham at The Hive on Saturday (6pm) before going to Cardiff Fire on Sunday (6.30pm).

The Welsh club were walloped 11-1 by Bees last week but Thompson reckons it won’t be another walkover in the return fixture when he will playing at the new Cardiff rink for the first time.

He said: “They were missing four guys last week and it will be a completely different challenge for us this weekend, but if we stay focused and play our normal game we should be fine.”