Kitchen appliances damaged after woman leaves cardboard box on cooker in Woosehill

Published: 25 Feb 2014 17:300 comments

Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in Woosehill this afternoon after a cardboard box containing books caught fire after being placed on a cooker.

Share this image

Firefighters were called to a kitchen in Woosehill this afternoon after a cardboard box containing books caught fire after being placed on a cooker.

Crews from Wokingham Road, Reading, and Wokingham attended the incident in Aquila Close at about noon, where the box was up in flames.

The female occupant had placed the box onto the cooker while she was moving furniture around after recently having her home redecorated.

As she was walking past the cooker, she brushed it with her arm, causing it to switch on.

The box caught fire, burning the adjacent microwave, the cooker itself and the extractor fan. The kitchen also suffered minor smoke damage.

Firefighters spent about 45 minutes dousing the flames with a hose reel before making sure all electrical appliances were safe.

Wokingham Road watch manager Roy Buckland said: "We would just like to warn residents not to put any flammable items onto cookers or stoves which could set them alight."

Jump to first paragraph.

Comments

Have your say - post a comment on this article

Registered users log in here
If you are registered with us, you can login here. If you are not registered, please do so now. Once logged in you wont have to complete word verification each time you post.